Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body mounts, ORD lift pucks.***pictures added***

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ntaj*ep, May 20, 2003.

1. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Just "finished" putting in the poly body mounts, and ORD body lift in the K5. Damn nice ride, well around the block anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I even took pictures of some of the process, for everyone who has yet to tackle this. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It was a pain but not too difficult. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    BTW Ryan did you get yours finished up?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: Body mounts, ORD lift pucks.

Congrats that you got it done and it wasn't to hard /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif now hurry up and get those pics...even tho i've already done one /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Body mounts, ORD lift pucks.

looks good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif strange mine still look like your original pics. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif i gotta get to work. i am gonna do the same when i get home in a month or 2.

nathan

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

i just took mine all off and re-did them all, i added shims to open my doors up and found that the big washer on the bottom had a 1/2" hole in it and I was bolting a 3/8" nut to them. Found that the nut almost screwed itself through that washer...took them all off and added a 3?8" washer to them all...mine looked like yours when i took them off... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

They were just gross and torn. I just can't believe what a diffrence in ride I have.
    I am missing 2 of the mounts though. Did anyone else do the ORD lift blocks?

7. mcmlxix

mcmlxix Registered Member

What poly mounts did you use? Where did you get them? What did ou pay? How was the quality of the kit and the fit? I am doing the same thing on my 70K5 soon and not sure if I want to do poly or stock rubber. I think I am going with a Performance Accessories 2" body lift. I used one on an S-10 I had a few years ago. It was a nice kit.

8. brandoneh

brandoneh 1/2 ton status

What do you think about that bumper sittin way below the body? i put a poly e. 3 inch body lift and i hate the way the bumpers look on it. Any cheap ideas?

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

As far as the mounts go I got them local for about $100 to my door. I really like the poly bushings alot. I have them for my trans. and t-case. Some people don't like how "positive" they feel but I like the feeling. As far as the brand I think they were Pro-thane mounts or something like that.

Now the bumpers, the rear I had to cut off as it was welded to the frame and hung down too low. The front bumper I just loosened up so the body could move up and around it. Even though I only went a small amount up(1" spacers and new mounts) I will still be relocating the front bumper up a bit more. The rear bumper will be almost the same as my old unit, except it will be thinner and tighter to the body. I really do not like the "big" body lift and low bumper look. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    BTW Ryan did you get yours finished up?

[/ QUOTE ]
    You talkin to me homes? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yeah, i did my 1" body and all the body mounts a few months ago. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I had to grind all the factory welds off the heads of the bolts... and found it was easiest just to grind the whole fricken head off the bolt and then use a center punch to punch the bolt out through the bottom. Don't even have to break the nuts loose that way. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Definatly got my $50 worth out of buying a Die Grinder for that job!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Took me a good day to do the whole job. About 8 hours. Had to remove the radiator to get to the front two bolts and grind the heads off. No doubt the biggest PIA job that i've ever done on my K5. It's a great accomplishment to finally change those original body mounts... I might feel a little more road vibration and bumps, but the body feels a lot more solid on the frame... No more clunking and banging of the body slamming on the frame.
    Replacing all the body mounts on my friends 2nd gen wasn't much fun either. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Ryan,

you happy with the 1" so far or do you wish you would have gone with a 2"

I know greg has been wanting to bring his back down to a 1".

Looking for opinions here. I've got a line I think on a 3" for $40
    or my other option is to cut down these 1 3/16 alum pucks I have to fit as body pucks. so I'd be out machining cost on those.

12. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Ya I'm talkin' to you! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Your front most mount bolts were welded???? Damn! The two in the floor pan and back were all welded (rescessed welded bolt heads /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif) but those two below the rad. had jam nuts. Yes I did have to cut them off as well being that they were stripped and all. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I'm waiting for two of my last pucks to arrive and I will be driving around. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Aaron- Ya know now that i think about it, i don't think my front radiator support bolts had a factory weld like all the others, they were more like just rusted in place... I was in the routine of grinding off the heads of the bolts and punching em through, if they gave me much trouble thats what i did next. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Les- I like the 1" kit and thats all i'd go with. I was replacing all the body mounts and figured what the hell i'd like a little extra lift. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I wish i greased up the bushings better b/c one of the mounts is making noise... One of these days i'll loosen it up and fix the squeek. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I don't like body lifts like 2" or 3", it looks tacky with the bed way off the frame. My friend has a 3" and wants to get rid of it all together or just go 1". /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

14. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

1" body is /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif