Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body mounts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dontoe, May 16, 2004.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm planning on installing new body mounts on a 73 k-5 tomorrow. Any tips?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Take your time and have lots of beers handy for those stupid rust bolts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What kit are you using?

I believe the rear-most body mounts are the same on yours and my '86, if so, the tank needs to be dropped. Rear bumper will need to come out too.

If it's the energy suspension kit, ignore their directions for the rear-most mounts. (again this is if your '73 is setup like the '8x ones) Pull the stock mounts from the rear after you drop the tank, and just cut the one piece off that interferes with their mounts. If you use their directions, you end up with a nut inside the frame, which is impossible to reach without dropping the tank, and just makes for tightening or loosening hassle later on, since the stock piece in that location has nuts welded to it, which means you don't have to worry about getting a wrench on the inside of the frame rail to hold a nut in place when you tighten the bolts on the outside of the frame.

May not make sense now, but it will when you get to it. (and yet again, IF the '73 setup is the same as the later ones)

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Only got mounts and a few washers in the box that they came in. Hardest part was figuring which go where. Went well except bent the shifter linkage. Removed and straightened easily though. Thanks for the info........