Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body mounts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by detailer03, Jun 1, 2004.

1. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status

My 89, 230,000 miles. The body mounts don't look real bad, I was thinking about replacing them. How much of a job is that?
    I do not want a body lift. So how bad will it be?
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Its fun. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

It took me a good day.

3. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status

define fun. How do I support the body when I change them
    where do I get the mounts from, LMC or chevyduty
    One man job?

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Okay, maybe we have different definitions of fun. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I changed the body mounts on my '72 and also did the body mounts on a friends '90 k5. Each truck took a full day.
    I got the mounts from ORD www.offroaddesign.com
    I did one side at a time.. loosen all the bolts and using 2 floor jacks and a bunch of large wooden blocks to support the body.. Then unbolt all the bolts out of one side and change the body mounts, lower it down get all the bolts started, then do the other side... The very last bolt you get to was the hardest to try to line up again.
    I changed all the body mounts on my '72 by myself, it was easier with 2 of us changing the body mounts on the '90.

5. tucsonkfive

tucsonkfive 1/2 ton status

Like Ryan B. said, it takes a day and is best to have /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif and the right tools./forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif Glad I did mine but never want to do it again. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Installed polyurthene body mounts last week on my 73 k-5. Got some good tips here. I used one jack in the middle, pine board to spread the pressure. Did one side at a time. Got all the nuts or bolts started before lowering and tightening any. Removed the rear bumper and gas tank to get the rearmost two. Forgot to unhook the auto shift linkage and bent it.Easy enough to remove and straighten though. Got the mounts from J.C. Whitney for $88.00 ( one of me favorite places for many years) The body lines are nice and straight but even with new door hingepins and bushings the doors aren't the easist to open and close. Oh yea I'm in great need of a rear seat and seat belts. to haul me two kids.
    Air impact wrench is a wonderful thing! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif