Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Mounts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Justin Fleming, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Justin Fleming

Justin Fleming 1/2 ton status Premium Member

On my 86 k5 it appears that the passenger side front body mount is history. Can these be replaced easily or do you have to jack the complete body up?

thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Body has to come up a bit, easiest to loosen all of the bolts and raise one side just enough to get to them, then switch to the other side.

Might as well get a poly kit, unless you are just going to go find a better used one, the poly kits are pretty cheap compared to stock replacement single mounts.

3. Justin Fleming

Justin Fleming 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What is the advantage of poly kit for body mounting? I could understand the need in control arms or sway bar.

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

They don't rot, they don't stretch and flex (for lack of a better term), last a lot longer-maybe even forever for most people...those are a few advantages I can think of.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The disadvantage of the poly kits is that you have to re-use the stock hardware (cup washers, retainers, etc....) in several of the locations. If the stock stuff is all rusted away or simply unuseuable than it's not really any cheaper by the time you buy the hardware.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah pretty much covered. They are actually better suited for mounts than suspension as poly "sticks" but we won't get into that. :)

IF your hardware is in good shape, then it's pretty straightforward. If it's not, and you can get good ones from the wrecking yard, it will still be pretty cheap to do. Around here the 80's truck stuff is still in good shape for the most part.

I modified all of my body mounting stuff when I put the truck together, all of the cup washers now have two holes drilled in the bottom of them, (at the lowest point of course) and grooves cut on the inside of the washer leading to the holes so water can escape from inside the mount. That's what rusts the bolts and washers out, retained water.

7. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I drilled holes too and painted them. But instead of cutting grooves I put a thin layer of marine grease on the cups hoping to keep the rust away.