Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body mounts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pats79, Apr 4, 2006.

1. pats79

pats79 Registered Member

Im replacing the body mounts in a 79 k5, and the four mounts behind the wheel wells are tack welded to the bed. would it be faster and easier to raise the body the aprox 6" off the frame or cut the welds and pull the bolts up?

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I used a grinder,and grinded off the heads of the stock bolts. Then punched them out with a BFH,and a punch.

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

the welds are really easy to cut with a grinder, just grind down the weld and pull the bolt throught the top. You might want to think about going with a bdoy lift while you are doing all that work

4. pats79

pats79 Registered Member

i was thinking grinding would be easier, 1st time on a blazer, ive only done body mounts on a camper special and those are easy, the body lift would be nice but that takes money

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It's also handy to grind a screwdriver flat in the head of the bolts for re-install. Make sure you get the welds, as you will rip the body if you try and punch them out with even a small bit of weld left. How do I know? :(

The screwdriver flat helps when you have two people, one can sit in the bed and hold the bolt in place so that it doesn't lift up, and doesn't rotate (again ripping the body since it's a carriage bolt) while you can be underneath tightening away.

6. pats79

pats79 Registered Member

too late, i pulled the carpet out last night and found some rust along the tailgate so the 2 bolts in the rear got buchered because some of the floor is going to have to be replaced anyway. the 2 above the axle came right out after i cut the spot welds, i was figuring on re-spotwelding all of the bolts after replacing the rust