Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body mounts?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stroked72Blazer, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

About to swap body mounts this weekend. Any warnings? Tips? Cheap labor that will work for beer? The front clip and motor are already off/out of the truck so mainly in the back.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Steve Chin was nice enough to post the bolt sizes a while back. When I did my body mounts I found them to all be correct.

Radiator Support: 7/16"-13 x 3.375" carriage bolt

Body Mount #1: 9/16"-12 x 6" hex head cap screw

Body Mount #2: 3/8"- 16 x 10" Carriage bolt

Body Mount #3: 3/8"- 16 x 5.5" Carriage Bolt

Body Mount #4: 3/8"- 16 x 4.5" Carriage bolt

Body Mount #5: 3/8"- 16 x 5.5" Carriage bolt

I had a hard time getting some of the bolts out after removing the nut. They had rusted to the sleeve. I ended up drilling the head off the bolt from the top and driving it down. Because these things are so old something that should be simple never is.

If you have a hard top make sure it is on when you do the body mounts. Also be sure to keep track of any shims and put them back where they came from.

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

If the bolts have spot welds on them likemine did, its easier to take an air hammer/chisle and just bust the head off, then mine luckily fell through the bottom, good luck and yeah, dont forget about the shims.

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I had a couple of carriage bolte rusted to the compression sleeves as well. What a PITA. The one thing I'd advise (and I didn't do it, so I should go and pull the bolts again) is to liberally grease the bolts and insides of the sleeves to reduce the chance of that happening.

Oh, the rear body mounts would be easier to get to without a trailer hitch or gas tank in the way, but they're do-able, even with the big-@$$ed 40 gallon Aero tank in the way.

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

On the front i had to pretty much remove the radiator to access the front radiator support bolts.
    All mine were factory and all the carriage bolts were spot welded on the head. I bought a die grinder and used my 4 1/2" angle grinder to grind off the heads of the bolts and then punch then out the bottom. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

Cool got them in just need to tighten them now. Only had to replace 4 bolts.

7. Steve_Chin

Cool beans. I had to replace every bolt other than the two at the radiator support.

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I just did mine and need to remove and add washers to the middle pads, my door are collapsed at the top a little so I'm going to try and open them up...

9. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

got mine today, waiting on the bodylift where ever I"m gonna find that for CHEAP. then mine are in.

10. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Just did my mounts yesterday. They were original. None of the nuts would come off. I had been using penetrating fluid for 3 weeks about every 3 to 4 days I would shoot them. I tried first with 1/2 inch drive socket with breaker bar and leverage bar on end. Switched to impact. They would just spin or break. then several were rusted in the sleeves and wouldnt budge.

I used grinder to remove welding on the heads of the carriage bolts and then hammer and chisel to break loose.

I then used cutting torch to remove nuts. Still had a couple that wouldnt let go. used torch again to cut bots off close to body. Used punch and hammer to drive them up through the body. I also used a sawzall with metal cutting blade for one when torch quit.

Glad I know someone with a hoist and tools. Took about 5 hours total counting cussing breaks.

It did make the ride much better. Old ones were shot and non existent. I did it with the hardtop on and replaced all shims. Everything opens just like it should.

Now just to rewire blinkers. Guess I got something a little hot with my prescision torching.

** On radiator I unbolted top supports and shroud and just slid radiator to one side and then the other to do those mounts. ** It worked well and didn't have to mess with antifreeze or hoses. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

Five hours isn't bad at all. All I need to do is multiply that X 2 for blatant displays of stupidity and a few beer breaks and that will give me a good time frame on my attempt at this.

Thanks for letting us know how it went.

12. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Five hours isn't bad at all. All I need to do is multiply that X 2 for blatant displays of stupidity and a few beer breaks and that will give me a good time frame on my attempt at this.

Thanks for letting us know how it went.

[/ QUOTE ] Yep figger on a real long day and if it goes fast consider yourself lucky. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Steve_Chin

No kidding. Count yourself as lucky *and* fast. With my gas tank and trailer hitch in place, I had to use combination wrenches on the rear mounts and the job took much more than 5 hours (including time to run to the hardware store to get new carriage bolts, run to the store again to get some more new bolts and nuts...).

14. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

With all the parts and tools ready, it took me about 8 hours from start to finish. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif