Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body mt bolt sizes

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChadL, May 5, 2001.

1. ChadL

ChadL Registered Member

does anyone have a list of the body mount bolts?

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I believe Steve Chin has a list of what sizes are needed.It was posted on the old Blazer-Net.

[​IMG]<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

3. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

Here is what Steve Chin lists. I just bought all these yesterday but haven't had a chance to change the bushings yet. Hopefully these are the right size, well, given that Steve provided the list Im sure they are the right size.

Radiator Support: 7/16"-13 x 3.375" carriage bolt

Body Mount #1: 9/16"-12 x 6" hex head cap screw

Body Mount #2: 3/8"- 16 x 10" Carriage bolt

Body Mount #3: 3/8"- 16 x 5.5" Carriage Bolt

Body Mount #4: 3/8"- 16 x 4.5" Carriage bolt

Body Mount #5: 3/8"- 16 x 5.5" Carriage bolt

Hopefully this helps,
    Jeff

4. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

I did mine a little while back and had to make 3 trips to the hardware store but the sizes listed above are the same sizes i ended up with.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://WWW.SMP.COLORADOK5.COM>http://WWW.SMP.COLORADOK5.COM</A>

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Just wanted to ressurrect the OLD thread and ask a few followup questions:

1. These lengths are for the "stock" K5.....? So you need to add either 1", 2" or 3" to the overall bolt lengths for whatever body lift you've got?

2. Body Mount numbers are listed from front to back on the K5? I think I've seen this numbering convention in the various factory manuals....just want to confirm.

3. What bolt grade is required? Grade 8 seems like overkill, but I suppose with a bodylift installed, the stresses on these parts are increased, so perhaps Grade 8 is justified?

4. The factory setup uses a metal sleeve inside the bushings that seems like it would hold a larger diameter bolt than what is listed above. Any reason why I shouldn't try to increase the sizing slightly to fit more tightly in those sleeves?

6. Anyone know where I can locate the re-inforcing plates used in the #5 position (body mounts closest to the rear tailgate).....it's a small piece of metal that sits on top of the floor in that little convoluted channel and makes it thicker. I've scoured the typical parts catalogs and haven't seen anything yet.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I don't think anyone makes the reinforcing plates for the rear...you could make your own but would have to be able to punch a square hole?... If yours are really shot take the dimensions to a shop that has a lazer cutter and have them make some for you (and the rest of us while you are at it).

I found for my truck the rear bolts are a bit short. I am using 2 nuts per body mount in an attempt to keep them from falling off (the core support poly bushing all ready left). One is a regular nut and the other is a all metal lock nut. On the rear there is only room for one nut...Maybe I should be less picky...Na.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Dan,

Yeah, the problem is that I don't have ANY plates there now...!

Like you said...if I had ONE, I could have a local shop duplicate it for a "phenomenal fee"....it's probably the kind of thing I'll just need to find at a scrapyard.

As far as those nuts.....have you tried the "Nylox" ones....with the nylon inserts in the thread area? Those have always seemed to work well for me, and they always require me to use a wrench the whole time I'm trying to loosen one.....there's no such thing as "finger tightening/loosening" on of those suckers! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The all metal lock nuts actually are suposed to hold better than Nylocks...It is like a regular lock nut that has been squeesed so it isn't round any more. I just have bad luck loosing bolts (in both my trucks!). I am going to use 2 more nuts and red lock-tite next time. On the pluss side Energy Suspension sent me a replacement free.

On the reinforcing plates I would try and make my own...Cut the plates to size, drill a hole, and file it square...It will take some time but won't cost much.

9. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Yeah, crimp-nuts work great, but they're useable only once and they're a PITA to install on a long bolt. I prefer to use Locktite on stuff like this and it holds up well. A side benefit is that the threads will not corrode under the Locktite so removal is easy once you heat the nut a bit to break the Locktite loose.

10. mkmiller

mkmiller 1/2 ton status

Greg-PM me and I think I can get you the pieces you need(parting out a couple)