Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body off frame - ideas on stands for body?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Art'74, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Art'74

Art'74 1/2 ton status

As the title states - I am taking my '75 K5 down to the frame. I want to keep the body off while I redo the frame.

You are always ingenious, so please provide your ideas how to keep the body in the air while I roll the frame out and work on it. :confused:

Also, I would love to clean under the body while it is off. Any ideas on how to get to the bottom beside laying on my back and eating dirt, grease, etc. :confused: :confused:

By the way, I have taken everything off the frame so it is just a rolling chassis (no engine, transmission, t-case, lines, nothin'). :D

Thanks,

Art

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

How about a bunch of guys lift it off the frame and onto some sawhorses.
    Then get the sawhorses to hold the tub up high enough to fab a stand for it.
    Seen the rotisseries for muscle cars ? Build something similar! I think some guys on here have done the same.
    I'd start with some box tubing and use some long bolts through the body mount locations.. Then you can let that box tubing stick out past the front and rear of the truck and weld that up to a big stand that you can rotate the body on. :thumb:

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Too bad you're so far out -- Desert Rat here in CA keeps trying to give his 2x4's-on-rollers away :haha:

-- A

4. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i did a body off on a nissan truck.

built a 4x4 frame with legs and dado supports on the legs, and use shelving brackets as gussets.

then bolted 6" rubber casters to the bottom.