Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body off....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerBoy, May 10, 2000.

1. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

For those of you who have removed your tubs how did you go about doing it. Is it too heavy for a bunch of guys to pick up? OR should I jack it up off the frame then support it and then roll the frame out? Just looking for Ideas how to do it tonight.. thanks guys..

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I got inside and lifted it with my back, so my brother and two more friends could get their hands under it and start lifting. The hard part is getting out of the top while still pushing up.

I know we must have seem pretty clumsy, but we finally did it.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I think what you mean is taking the whole body off the frame right?
    Blazer79, if you can lift the whole body with your back you must be built like the Shack on the Lakers.[​IMG]
    I my self have not done it but have seen it done with two cherry pickers one on each side then after seporation rolling the cherry pickers and body off the chassie.
    Good luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Oops! [​IMG] LOL[​IMG]. Seems like I read too fast and started talking about the hard top.

Of course I'm not like Shack. But, hey, I just started jogging and weightlifting, maybe someday I'll be able to lift the tub in my back[​IMG]LOL.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

5. jsc383

jsc383 Registered Member

a few years ago we had a GMC that we were striping down. we just cut the back off(where the cap meet the cab) and made a kind of brace to keep the body from twisting, removed the 1/4panels, hood and every thing thats not welded down and that made it easy enough for three 15 year kids to lift it with no prob. you probly already know this but just make sure you have a plan and lots o room.

6. Jamie

Jamie Registered Member

I rolled mine off to the side and rested it on its side then rolled out the frame and set it down. Can't hurt it that much on the grass. Haven't put my new tub on yet (next week) but I'm guessing around 5 or 6 guys to help lift it on. I'm guessing the tub weighs around 700 lbs. Any more questions give me a holler.