Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body or Suspension lift... which is more top heavy?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by timmay, Jun 11, 2006.

?

Which is MORE top heavy

1. Body lift will increase COG more.

7.1%
  2. Suspension lift will increase COG more.

92.9%
  1. timmay

timmay Registered Member

Suppose a truck is stock height and you want to lift it 3". You have a choice between a 3" body lift or a 3" suspension lift. Which one do you think would make the truck more top heavy?

2. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I would say suspension. The body lifts only the body off of the frame leaving the 3" gap or whatever size lift you use.

The suspension lift raises the frame as well, raising the center of gravity from all of the weight of the frame.

Plus it also lifts the motor and tranny.

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

susp will increase the cog more, but i trust a susp lift more than a body lift

4. bronderslev

bronderslev Registered Member

it depends

on it you want more space fore bigger wheels or greather ground clearends... in the long run both of them are goner increse the cog, but body raiseing sligtly less cause you still got the frane axels and so on, in the same hight as stock....

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Body lift is less I believe.

6. toy4x4runner

toy4x4runner 1/2 ton status

BL will give you the lower CG, but you have to look at what you're ultimate goals are for tire sizes, axles and such. If you wanna go say 6". you can do a 3"BL and then get a 3" Suspension lift. VS getting all 6" from suspension. but you have to weigh the pros and cons of each.

7. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

With 3" the Center of Gravity is going to be lower with a Body Lift... But with old worn out springs, socks and body bushings, you'll have more body roll creating the movement of the center of gravity.... What are you trying to improve and why?

8. timmay

timmay Registered Member

I'm trying to settle an arguement with a friend. I told him the suspension lift would be more stable than a body lift, because the body lift would create more leverage for the weight of the body to "pull" the frame from side to side. I'm thinking I should have asked about "stability" rather than "COG"