Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body or suspension lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GUMBY, May 17, 2000.

1. GUMBY

GUMBY Registered Member

I have a 88 full size Blazer. I just purchased 33x12.50's and rims to switch out when going heavy offroading. This is an everyday driver with 31's for the road. I'd like some opinions on body/suspension lifts. What do people prefer? I had planned to go with just a 2" lift. Not planning to go with bigger tires.

2. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Personally I would stick with suspension. There is always time for a body lift later. With a 2" lift you could easily run 33's. I have a 6" suspension and running 35's. This friend of mine, well I think we are anyway, is in the process of putting a 2" lift on his Blazer and he's going to run 33's. If you need just an extra couple of inches to run some bigger tires without having to change your driveline then that's where the body lift comes in to play. Body lifts are also a little bit more work too. Good luck on your decisions.

Alex
    Wichita, KS
    What me get stuck? NEVER!!(Famous last words)

3. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

Just before I bought my '89 Jimmy the guy had 33's on it without any lift... the thing looked mean and the tyres cleared everything except for turning and jumps ; ) I'm now putting a 6" susp. lift with a 2" body lift on it.

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

4. Kiblsnbits

Kiblsnbits Registered Member

When you say cleared everything but turning, did you mean hard turning? How much did they rub, Ive been considering doing this, because I love the look of a tired stuffed into the wheelwell!

Blazer: A hole in the air, surrounded by metal, into which one pours money

5. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Suspension!

6. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

well, at bottom of the right front fender I think the tyre rubbed there because the spot welds are popped out. with a little trimming it should fit fine... well that also depends on back spacing

7. mpikas

mpikas Registered Member

33 x what? I'm pretty sure that 285 75 16's will fit (have seen it, which are about 33x11, but I'd like to go with 33x12.5" (that just seems like the right size for it). I may eventually try a lifting it some, but for now I just want to run bigger tires...

8. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

I've got both sus and body lifts.I actually had to add the 3" body,after I got shorter/wider tires.If you're concerned about price I'd go with the body lift and cover the new open spaces with rubber or something else along those lines.They're a buttload cheaper and in the future might save you some money on a shorter suspension lift if you wanna' go higher.I know a lot of people don't like the body lifts for a lot of different reasons,and to tell you the truth,I'll most likely get rid of mine when I can afford a new,higher,suspension lift but like I said it's a Cheap and fairly easy way to go.
    Also,as someone else pointed out-pay attention to the backspacing on your rims.That had a lot to do with why I had to put the extra lift on mine.

<font color=red>Wanna'keep wheelin? Get involved!
    Check the "Land Use" section of this board.</font color=red>

9. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

The tyres that were on there were 33x12.5x15 Super Swampers with 5-spoke chrome rims that were 10 inches wide, I don't know the backspacing.

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you do alot of really twisty wheeling, then you "might" have to trim the front fenders a little. I have a 4" Skyjacker softride kit and the 33x12.50 BFG on 15x10 rims just barely cleared when twisted up with the swaybar still attached. After I unhooked the swaybar, I had to slightly trim the rear edge of the front fender (actually a few light smacks with a hammer did the job).

11. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Since it will be your daily driver you might want to go with the body lift. This way your drivetrain will remain stock and won't have the stress that a suspension puts on it. But then again how much stress can a 2" suspension add....

12. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

I have a 88 with 33/12.5s they barely hit I did make new shackles though a 1/2" longer.

13. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I'm running a 4" suspension lift with 33's. I would suggest agains a body lift, the fleme flex is too much and you would end up breaking something someday that is too hard to replace/fix. Also, the 33's are pretty hard on the stock 700r4, trust me, I've got my 3ed one sitting in the carport waiting to be placed behind the ol' 350.

Corey
    88K5

S
    U
    S
    P
    E
    N
    S
    I
    O
    N
    !

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

14. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

What can I do do really "beef" the 700r4? I know Jet makes stuff but does it work? I just got a new 700r4 and I really don't want to toast it with 35"- 38" tyres that going on on the 14 bolt and Dana 44 w/4.10 greas.

15. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Great big cooler, and a temperature gauge. Heat is what usually kills an automatic tranny.

16. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I agree with 6.2 Blazer. We have had a couple Fullsize GM Conversion vans that weigh about just as much as my Blazer. They all had 700R4's and we pulled our boat a couple of times a week with them and never had problems. The boat was pretty heavy also.

The 700R4 is a very strong tranny, I would invest in a cooler and gauge like 6.2 said.

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

17. Emmettology 101

Oh, and I forgot. I would go with a suspension lift. I stay away from body lifts as much as possible!
    It is worth the extra cash to go with the suspension lift!

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"

18. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I had 35" Thornbirds on my built 700R4 with the biggest cooler you could find and the dang thing still kept dropping on me. I guess the 3.08 gears didn't help. LOL.
    Gears are one thing you need to keep in mind especially when running the 700R4, I went threw 3 700R4's in a year and a half, I'd save up for gears and get ready to buy them then the dang thing would drop on me again. I didn't run 33"'s though so I'm not sure what affect these would have. the 35" thornbirds were very heavy for that size tire also.

19. Emmettology 101

Yes, I would imagine that gears paly a big role in this also. If you have high gears with big tires, you are working the tranny hard!

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"

20. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Go suspension!

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad