Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body/Paint...Air Compressor Question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by titus95, Sep 23, 2005.

1. titus95

titus95 Registered Member

~This is going to sound crazy, but:~ I'm getting ready to paint my 85 K5 but my apartment complex does not supply electricity to the garages. Can I run a hose extension from my compressor to the garage and still get a good paint job? Here is the thing...the hose would be around 200ft. Compressor is 4.5HP and 11 gallons...I would appreciate any expert advice.

2. K10bolts

K10bolts Registered Member

I would be worried about moisture in the lines seeing as that compressor would be running pretty hard. I suppose if you ran a water seperator right before the last bit of hose, you would be okay. I'm not sure about the pressure drop though. It also depends on what type of gun you are using.

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Even if the moister wasn't a problem, (and maybe it could be overcome with a seperator) I'd have to wonder if the compressor is up to the task.

What CFM is it capable of? I can't imagine it's very high. I would think there would be a bit of friction loss in the hose after 200 ft.

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

length of hose will be no issue.. as a matter of fact, it'll help any water situation.. whether the compressor is up to the task is another story.. painting is not the most cfm demanding air tool... i paint 50' boats out in the yard with a portable twin tank compressor all the time..

do yourself a favor tho and get a small disposable water seperator that threads on the back of the gun.. they are usually round plastic ones these days. usually 2 for $10.. some parts places have em, and any autobody supply shop will have em....

5. titus95

titus95 Registered Member

The compressor witll put out 7.5cfm @ 40psi...I've seen a few guns that match up to this...now if I can just pick out a color...thanks for the helpful info everyone :wink1:

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you're worried about the volume or flow at that distance, just buy one of those small portable $25 air tanks. Add some fittings so that you can feed air into the tank at one fitting, while feeding air out to your paint gun from another fitting. The tank will then act as an accumulator and smooth out any fluctuations from the main line. :cool1: