Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Panel replacement, Success or horror stories?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I've read some of the previous posts on sheet metal replacement. I'm looking at replacing the hood, fenders, rear quarter panels and doors on my 74 Blazer. I've seen a few posts slamming LMC but also some who have had good luck with them. I was also looking at Goodmark Industries as well as JC Whitney. Anyone have any experience with these two? Also, anyone replace their rear quarter panels on a 73-75 Blazer? Problems? Recommendations?

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

The biggest problem I've both seen and heard about is fit. The mounting holes just dont line up right, and/or the body contour lines don't match up once it is lined up.

3. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Save yourself the hassle of fighting the panels to make them fit and get G.M. panels. I would not buy any other ones unless your rig is just ok. If your going to make it look right and not fight them get G.M. or good G.M. junkyard stuff

4. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

On my '74 K10, I replaced both outside front fenders with genuine GM fenders, new from the dealer, I think about $125 a piece or so. Stamped in Canada, they fit perfect. I bought one inside front fenderwell, foreign made (forget where), but I had no problems with it either.

Only downside is, since I have nice sheetmetal, I don't wanna do any fender trimming!

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

when i bought my 84 i noticed that the passenger fender wasnt right, but i lived with it for about a year, when it got on my nerves too much i went to fix it, i replaced the inner fender well which lined up alright, i went to replace the filler panel under the grill and Sweet Jesus that thing did not line up for [censored], i had to bend, bash, and grind to get it to fit, Like everyone else said, if you want your panels to be perfect get real replacements, but if your truck is gonna have body damage and you dont want to be afraid of crunching a expensive fender then replace with cheap parts, By the way. when i flex my truck, my passenger fender gets a huge gap by the door it pisses me off, but oh well.....

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

It all depends on what you want for an end result. If you're gonna 'wheel it a lot, buy whatever is cheapest and bolt it on. If you want a real nice fit, finish and don't have much body experience spend the $$$ to get the good stuff. I've replaced everything but the doors on my '74 ('glass rear quarters, 'glass front fenders w/ later model coresupport etc.) except the doors. It doesn't fit like factory, but it looks good enough for me. More than likely, if your '74 is in need of all that replacement, even factory parts won't fit real well. Good luck!

7. Desert Rat

Michael, did you say you did the rear quarter panels? I got a nice e-mail reply from Goodmark Industries explaining the quality difference between theirs and original GM. I guess my biggest concern isn't so much making them fit, but the thickness of the metal. On the rear quarter panels, Goodmark has the comment "marginal quality but the only ones available" on their catalog. Does GM make a complete rear quarter panel replacement?

8. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Amazing, somebody as crazy as me! To date I've replaced my.......

Both front fenders
    both rear fenders
    both rockers
    both doors
    the hood
    the tail-gate

I would say the rear fenders are the hardest, but I just bought an air hammer from Home Depot $39.00 I think? This saved me hours of time, also the lineing up of the rear in conjuntion with the tail gate is the hard part. I was 17 when I did this, no thanks to any body foe any help, I also just used a lincoln Electric wire feed welder and for a first timer I only burned through a couple times.

Another binifit is that it looks like a have a new paint job, I also replaced the core support and have a newe floor waiting to go in.

My biggest advice is do NOT take every panel off!, replace them one at a time and measure gaps between doors, fenders and the hood and tail-gate!

I have pics but not on the internet yet. Pm me if ya want any more info I'm in AZ as well, later.

P.S if your willing to use thinner metal I know a company called Certifit in Phoenix....front fender=33.00, rear=180.00,
    door=52.00,
    hood=70.00,
    rockers=10.00,
    tailgate=120.00

buy remember this is thinner metal! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. Desert Rat

I sent you an e-mail. I have many questions about replacing the rear quarter panels. Anyone who has done this feel free to chime in. Most everything is bolt on but those rear quarter panels look like a real pain. I've stripped down the entire front end and interior. It's down to just the tub. Rear floor is good but there are rusted holes on the channel by the bottom of the doors. I'm thinking of taking the tub down to a shop and having them strip it, weld up the holes, and primer the entire thing. Or stripping it myself, having the holes welded up, and then POR15 the bottom and bed. I plan on doing Line-X later in the interior. Anyone Line-X their whole interior?