Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Panel Replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by larryboz, Jun 21, 2003.

1. larryboz

larryboz Registered Member

I am going to start replacing the body parts then do the motor probably take a year or so to get all the way done but oh well, least I will be teaching myself on the way and of course questions to you guys. Anyways how hard is it to replace the bedsides? I already have fenders, doors rocker panels but it is going to need bedsides. I am going to practice welding on the old body parts but have never replaced the bedsides before. Does anybody have a write up on this? Just wondering how hard this is going to be? Mechanically I am good but never really done body work. But it is not going to be a show vehicle either Just something that looks nice and don't have to worry about taking it off-road when I want to get it dirty.

Larry

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Send a PM to Blazer_Boy. He's done this and has some pics posted of his progress. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

It took me 2 days to do it to my Blazer. 1 to cut it off and 1 to put the new one on (I took my time). Besides the poor LMC fit, it was quite simple. After carefully cutting off the old one, I just used two pairs of vise grips to clamp it into position (trial and error) then laid down some spot welds to hold it, check fit again then welded the rest up.

I had to remove the tailgate which was no problem but peeling back the bottom 2 inches of the B post skin was a bit tricky. I used a hammer and chissle to slice it so I could bend it back enough to get the new quarter to fit under it. I also used an angle grinder to remove the factory spot welds and most of the tailgate post welds.

Slapped some bondo here and there and it looks 99.9% perfect.

BTW - I did 100% percent of this by myself. It would have been nice to have a buddy help take the quarter on and off, I was afraid of denting it, but it was managable for one guy to do.

4. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

5. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

If it's on a pickup, it's easy. It's basically bolt on except for a small weld at the bottom back by the tailgate. When you put your new sides, on make sure that you leave everything a little loose and put your tailgate back on. Make sure it will close and latch and that the gaps on each side are equal, then start tightening bolts. As you tighten , make sure you keep checking on the tailgate. Lay down the weld last. Then seal up the gaps between the new sides and the wheel tubs with some seam sealer. I am no body man, but I have done this once before and it turned out real well. It was pretty easy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. larryboz

larryboz Registered Member

Thanks Everyone

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I'm thinkin about doing this too but need a cheap place to find a good fender replacement. Anyone?

8. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

You get what you pay for when it comes to body panels, I have done this on my 75 Blazer, the oem is the way to go, pay the extra money it will be worth it, the made in taiwan crap is thinner metal and is a very low quality.

That said there is a company in az called certifit that seels the cheap crap for less than $200.00 for the panel.

9. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I made a post about TABCO a long time ago. Hell if I remember where it is. If you're interested, I can find their catalog and give you the phone number to request one. I know a guy that builds Chevy trucks from the ground up and TABCO is the only company he will use. He's compared panels from local shops and LMC to TABCO's and you can definitely see the difference in quality. They die-stamp their panels instead of using a press brake. They use the factory blueprint for the die, so it's guaranteed to fit (almost) perfectly, plus the metal is a couple or three gauges thicker than LMC junk.

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Yeah same here! I need all of them all the way around, and a floor, and a bed, and a frame! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    LMK if you find that magazine/catalog /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Last time I checked at the dealer for my 89 Blazer the fenders were $500+, doors were $500+, and the quarter panels were $1k+. That was about 2yrs ago, but I'm sure that prices haven't dropped since then.

12. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

ahh you are correct /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

14. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Found them on Google.
    http://www.tabcobodyparts.com/
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool now I know where to find good parts finally!!

15. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Am I just not looking hard enough or do they not carry the complete fenders, doors, quarter panels, and tailgates /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

16. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I bought 2 outters 2 inners, and it was more than what your dealer quoted you..............just an FYI

though my panels were PERFECT matches, GUARANTEED...thats what you have to check......most places have a little sentance that says "these may look like sh*t when you get them all banged up but we can't help that"

Brandy

17. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I must have missed that little disclaimer on the boxes my doors came in. Is that a direct quote? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif