Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body pannel glue?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PAVEVENT SUCKS, Jan 7, 2002.

1. PAVEVENT SUCKS

PAVEVENT SUCKS Registered Member

a nguy told me when replacing new rear quarters to use this new glue thats out,its supposed to be better and stronger than welding,anyone heard of this,or was the mud packed in my ears again?any replies appricated!

First aid kit is a roll of duct tape & a bud light

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

He was probably refering to the 3M adhesive that is used to hold the doorskin on the shell after it's been replaced. I used one of the 3M products to hold part of a quarter panel in place and I will vouche that it is relatively strong and sets up in about 5 mins. but I doubt if any product is stronger than welding. If you use the adhesive on two painted surfaces then it will only be as strong as the paint that it is bonding to. If you are going bare metal to bare metal that would be the best, but then you have to worry about rust developing underneath.

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Yes there are adhesives that you can put a panel on w/. They are not new, they have been around for a few yrs. You still have to weld the front and back of the panel, ( the welds along the front door and rear gate) so all you really gain is not having to weld the top, and bottom. I have not used it much. Most insurance companies dont allow it to be used, so I really dont know much about it. It is strong tho, I have seen it tested in the shop and it holds HARD! I have seen 2 1/8 in. panels glued together, w/ about 2 in. of overlap, put into pulling clamps, then pulled w/ a 10,000 pound frame rack. (I dont know what they pulled it to tho)The glue held, the steel plates had gouges in them and were bent where the clamps were starting to slip and dig into the steel. I dont undersatnd why the ins. co. shy away from it. To remove it you heat the panel above 400 Deg. Far. and it releases.

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

4. PAVEVENT SUCKS

PAVEVENT SUCKS Registered Member

sounds like welding is the way to go,thanks alot!!

First aid kit is a roll of duct tape & a bud light

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Welding is the way I would go. I can blast my way around a panel fairly kwik. But I do it everyday tho. [​IMG] IMO make sure you put as many welds back as there was orig. IICAR says thats the way it should be done, so thats how I do it. I also try to place them back in the same place. An 8 mm (5/16") hole is what you will want to drill the new panel w/.

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>