Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body parts question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Veefour, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Veefour

Veefour Registered Member

I understand that there is a forum for just restoration questions, but I'm not a member as of yet so I was hoping for some basic info here. I have an 85 K5 and it's needing various replacment sheet metal due to rust and rust holes. I've seen replacement parts where you cut out the rusted part, and weld in the replacement part but I was wondering if you could just unbolt parts off of say....A junkyard K5? My first replacement needs to be the bed and floorboard. Can I just unbolt and replace these parts or do I need to cut out the rusted places and weld in new metal?

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

what bed?

anyways- you have to cut these out and replace them. you find a K5 in a junk yard, its floors will be 99% of the time in the same condition of yours. Just know what your doing, your seats will be bolted to these new floors you put in...would suck to end up with a fred flinstone wagon without seats!

Brandy

3. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Well I have to undergo the same task but I can't find actual k5 floorpans anywhere besides lmc. Here in Newfoundland the only pans I can get are pickup front pans, and well they don't fit right. But for your floors you have to drill or grind out all your spot welds and fight with the rusted tangled metal. Do you have full pans? I was looking at an old scout the other day and the floors just unbolt. How sweet is that. Good luck and wear gloves.

4. Veefour

I really don't think any other junk yard K5 would have a floor like mine. Here in NC you can drive on the beach on the Outer Banks. Great fishing. My K5 has made the trip tot eh coast tons of times and the salt water and sand has done a number on the quarter panels and floor.

5. Veefour

jcwhitney.com has replacement floor pan sections

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

www.shermanparts.com has all the auto body parts you'd want. Get the whole floor, or just sections.

7. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

the only floor pans available are made for the truck and require mods to fit.

i had bought replacement sheetmetal from this place over the weekend.

it was thicker then anything i had gotten from LMC or JCWhitney.

http://www.keystone-auto.com/