Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body people here please help with Trim Removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Krase, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Krase

Krase Registered Member

Ok Guys and Ladies, can anyone give me pointers on removing the side trim off the blazer, its the chrome version, i had one piece fall off and went to pull the next piece off and chipped my paint a bit, since i do not offroad much i try and keep my blazer looking sharp in my eyes, anyway does anyone know any tricks to removal of these and how to get glue off easily. Lastly what do you recommend to "restore" paint underneath, will wax alone do it?

Thanks for any help,
    Todd

2. ed1507

ed1507 Registered Member

where there plastic or metal clips under the other pice or is it the stick on kind? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. jwingfield2k

jwingfield2k Registered Member

heat gun will melt the glue, then just peel it off, or on a warm day you can set it in the sun and also use a hair drier.

4. Krase

Krase Registered Member

is the stick on kind

5. ed1507

ed1507 Registered Member

you might try a orange style degresser or wd40 i know a company called zepp makes a orange gel we use to remave decal glue might try looking them up ed

6. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Like the other guys said, use a heatgun. Remember that the rearcorners are usually bolted on, so don't try to just pull them off.

7. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Depending on if you have some of the bad paint years, you can use 3M Adhesive Remover. It is safe to use directly on paint, however, if you are in the bad paint years it might actually take some of the paint off. I used this to remove the body moulding on my old truck and it worked pretty good, just took a lot of elbow grease. A couple of appications loosens up the adhesive and you can generally roll it off with your fingers.

8. Mr.LaHoyaSunset

Mr.LaHoyaSunset Registered Member

what pieces are still intact, or are you putting them back on? a few of mine are mia, and id like to get em back on....
    if your interested in selling em, that would be really cool.
    Colin in Ohio /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Khi5in

Khi5in Registered Member

try 3m adhiesive remover doesn't hurt the paint. I've only seen this in body supply stores though.