Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body protection/ bumpers/ sliders concept

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MNorby, Jan 7, 2007.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

ya'lls input?

concept01.JPG

2. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I like it andhave been thinking along those lines. I like the over the hood idea, I was a little stumped on that...I am also thinking about an under the body cross memeber, but don't want it to hang down...do it, build it, make it work...

3. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

To much IMO. :dunno:

4. MNorby

the over hood deal is kinda to help reinforce the side tubes from hitting the fender too.
    with my driving style I think I'll need all the protection I can get. And they definately won't be painted lime green....:doah: Still thinking of the boatsiding vs sliders too....

Here is my best friends hillbilly body protection on his rig. He had tons of that pipe avaliavle to made it out of that. Have bounced off many trees with no harm.

DSC03783.JPG

5. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

Was thinking along those lines myself.Beefy,but maybe a bit curvy like the body.Also thinking about making it removable.Mounting it at the bumpers and at the front and rear of the rocker box/sliders.Dunno.Course,I have been having some crazy ideas since I rolled mine-like tapering it with the panels I have now while setting it up with dzus fasteners so I could(with a few hours work)put a set of straight rear quarters and front clip back on.Done a bit of dreaming about it regarding how to do the rear floor section,how to set up the front and so forth.I just know I want to wheel it and still have a beautiful truck,although a pretty badass one.Maybe I'm cracking up myself-two personalities y'know:D -Allen

6. MNorby

I would make the sice pannes removeable with some bolt together cage gusset deals and also rubber mount them going from the slider to the bumer somewhere so they have some give with frame flex. Maybe make them bolt to body in a few sports in rubber to tie stuff together but not solid

7. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

WHAT??? No lime green, well then, its crap!

Naw, just kidding, I like the over the hood deal, but in my '73 (and your rig too?), I don't think it will work as the whole hood comes up and I don't want a bar in front of the window. That Harvestor has a little more tube than I woudl like, but it looks functional.

8. MNorby

mine is a 71 and has a windshild cowl between the hood and the windshield the only prob would be replaceing wiper arms but if I made it removeable as planned just unbolt and lift up enough. Actually the green doesn't necessarily look bad really. I should find a color that doesn't clash with orange that is bright just to make it stand out like that olive drab k5 with lime green tube work. Any suggestions?
    You can see how the hood opens in this pic.

The IH traveler body is on a 82 1-ton chevy frame so they used the tube to kinda hide the hydrid split there and also there will be a 12K winch hidden in that tube in the front here right shortly

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

X2

That Scout looks horrible.....like some young kid that has to wear "headgear" to straighten out his teeth! :haha:

Exocages are ugly no matter what....most people don't even bother to make them removeable, so once there is damage underneath, there's not even a way to get the panels out without cutting the cage off.

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

:haha: :haha:
    I use to wear headgear when I was like 11 :doah: :haha:

As for the topic....kinda on the fence..I understand the protection value but it makes the MadMax look and destroys the FirstGen look....:confused:

12. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Why don't you put the tubing on the inside and make everything removable like Ryan did to his First Gen Dune Buggy / Rock Crawler?

13. Greg72

Now somebody is using their melon!.... :thumb:

14. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Ditto, or do it all behind he fender. On mine, from the rear of the fender forward you cant see any tubes. My tires stick out far enough that Im not hitting the fenders.

15. MNorby

I could go from the cage thru the firewall then thru the grill to the bumper but then I would destroy the sheet metal more than likely

16. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

To some degree, yeah it's gonna happen but when you exo the ride all the finesse needed to keep panels straight isn't needed anymore...where's the challenge in that? :D

IMO put some strategic tubing/sliders on it and then wheel it with skill and cunning.

17. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have any pics of,or a link to,Ryan's buggy/crawler?-Allen

18. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    i was thinking it was a very interesting concept......until i saw that scout...keep it simple

19. MNorby

I would definately make it a little more appeasing than the trashional. I'll prob at least build the bumpers and sliders/ boatside whatever then play with the concept a little more. Thinking sq tube bumpers that taper up and in on the sides and make them into toolbox type deals to hold chains and clevises so I can keep as much stuff out of the cabin as possible

20. Greg72