Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body protection

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by blazinzuk, Dec 31, 2003.

1. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Anyone ever made rear corner guards for the blaze. I know this whould be hard and alot of work I am just looking for ideas. Right now for the top compound bend I will probably hammerform 4 or 5 sheets of thinner steel and then put them together bottom part is easy but hammerforming takes forever and is labor intensive. My use of the vehicle will not allow me to narrow the rear end.

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You mean like the corner covers on like jeeps and Landcruisers?

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You mean like the corner covers on like jeeps and Landcruisers?

[/ QUOTE ]
    that's what it sounds like to me.
    I think hammering is the only way to make custom parts like that. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

ive seen that on a site once. it was on a k5 and made out of d-plate to. looked sweet. but for the life of me, i cant remember where and ive searched and and searched and never found it again. personaly id think it sell for the right price. there is a k5 for sale on ebay with lower d-plate panels and it looks good. good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I never really get the idea of using diamond plate on a skid surface. Namely diamond plate is meant to grip, so making skid plates and corners that you intend to bash and scrape out of them the grip will just add another force to it all. I know a low rider that scrapes his control arms constantly, he said he was making diamond plate skid plates I looked at him funny, he didn't get why. Dplate does look good and I can see it on the corners just venting about some stupid things I've seen over time.

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I didn't go out and look but I don't think there are any negatives in that corner so maybe you could go to the junkyard and cut some off old trucks and layer them up on top of yours. If you get enough layers it should be pretty tough, Just a thought.

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

You can skin it and put on flat plate over a frame in the bedside. (kinda heavy though)

8. blazinzuk

I like the idea of getting some off of junk trucks and layering them I am not going to use daimond plate I want something that can get hit fairly hard. Most of the rocks that I wheel on are old lava flows so there is alot of outcroppings when you are driving along. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I will post some pics when I get done with these but I probably won't start on them until Feb. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I know... old topic... but, I was kind of curious if anything else ever came of this thread?

10. blazinzuk

I haven't started on them yet still plan to though

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Have you seen the new HDPE side hossbaby50 is running?? They realy can take a beating, don't rust, and keep there color no matter how deep the scratch is. Also they are light weight and can be contoured to some of the bends on the body.

12. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

i once drew up a nice set of spaced d-plate (spaced an inch off the body panel). I actually thought of using valve springs as kinda of a bumper of sorts. never thought of doing it though.