Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body removal tips...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Curtis2kul, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Curtis2kul

Curtis2kul Registered Member

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
    Anyone have any? Its a 84 blazer. I want to take it off so i can paint it. Plus it will make lifting it and putting new motor in a whole heck of alot easier. I was thinking of taking the top off and seats out and having a bunch of guys come over and lift it off /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

View my webshots on how I did it to a burb /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Curtis2kul

i would do that if i had a big barn.....

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

We used a crane on the back of a friends service truck with two 50' lift straps. We went thru the door frame with one, and the other we used the holes for the hide a bolts for the shell with nuts and eye bols. A good way to hold it up is a couple 90" long (if I remember right)4x4's (I used 6x6's though) and set the body on the 4x4 across 55gal barrels.

5. Curtis2kul

i think were going to make a makeshift lift out of some wood, then lift it off , then i want to build something to put it on so i dont have to set it on the ground!

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I took a 4x4 on either side of the cab and reinforced the trusses, then used a chain hoist on one side and a comealong on the other and picked the cab up. Roll the frame out from under and you're done. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Curtis2kul

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif thanks man

8. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I built these braces:

[​IMG]

Then I screwed two 2x6's together about 8 ft. long. I completely took off the front end and then I unbolted the body mounts and slowly worked the body up little by little putting pieces of wood between the frame and body until I had enough space to slide the two 2x6's which were 4x6's across. Then I was able to slowly work those wood crossmembers up high enough to bolt them to the braces I had built. It was a PITA and I used a floor jack, motorcycle jack, and a cherry picker to lift the body up. I did it myself but it would've been easier with some help. Once I got the body on the braces, I removed the wheels, lowered the frame down as low as it would go by putting the axles on the floor and motorcycle jack, and slid it out from under the body. I had to do that because the way I parked it, I had to pull the frame out from the back. If you have the space, you can simply roll the frame out from the front which is easier.

Later I built heavy duty dolly wheels under the braces and I was able to roll around the body in the backyard wherever I wanted to. I had to take my time since I did it myself and make sure the body never tilted far enough to fall off. Space was tight and it would've been easier in a large garage or bigger side yard.