Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body repair costs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Erik Aalto, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Erik Aalto

Erik Aalto Registered Member

how much will body repair costs run on a 1979 k5, depending on the severity of the damage? last year around october or so, I was making a right turn, checked for traffic, started to go, apparently didn't check well enough, because I hit the right rear panel of a 1982 volvo, resulting in a dent similar to maybe a baseball impact on my car, and a dent that cost 1000$ on the other. thankfully I didn't have my bumper on, because it would have ripped that car to pieces.. I have another dent caused by my friend when he tried closing the door with his ass, so consider that to be an ass sized dent form a 6'11 guy on the passenger door.. I was making a right turn into a parking space and got to close to the van next to me and I scraped his bumper towards the start of my rear wheel well, and there is a little dent there, and that for the most part comprises most of my dents. any idea on what that might cost? I am planning on getting the truck repainted and body work done, and I don't feel like paying a lot, so I'm taking it over to earl scheib at some point, and I think they should be able to do whatever I need, for a relatively low cost... (under 1k) another question I have is.. for those of you who have restored blazers or have done work to them, what have you done with the annoying metal strip things that run along the side and the back around the chevrolet writing and metal looking back? I want to take that off completely.. have any of you done that, and if so, what did the cost run on getting screw holes filled in ?

2. Erik Aalto

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm assuming you're using Franks Blazer to illustrate the strips?
    If your budget is tight try and push out the dents yourself. Body work is generally labour intensive...which is a long way of saying it's expensive. Shop's generally charge by the hour and shop time can run as high as $50 an hour or more. Most dents like "Butt dents" can be bumped back out in little or no time. I just fixed a dent in my drivers door that sounds similar. I removed the door panel and using the butt end of a hammer gave it a little bump and presto...dent gone.

As for estimating cost...quite honestly even if I owned a body shop I couldn't do it without seeing the truck. Even then it would have to be seen in person for an accurate estimate.

As for removing the trim and filling the holes...it's best to weld the holes up. Body filler will crack and the holes will rust. Again, kinda labor intensive. For filling holes with a welder I usually hold a piece of flat copper or aluminum on the back side and fill the hole with a series of tack welds, then grind flush. Depending on how hard access to the backside of all the holes is will determine how hard a job it would be.

Good luck.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

4. Erik Aalto

yeah I was using his blazer just to illustrate. i'm only 17, so I don't have access to welding torches and the like. my friend suggested that I take off the inside panel and push out the dent from the inside.. as for the other dents, I think they should be fixable by just tapping on them a little bit with a hammer as you suggested. would you recommend taking off the metal stripping? I think it might have to come off if I decide to get the vehicle repainted, and there is the question of what to do afterwards, put it back on leave it off blah blah..