Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body repair parts question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikayak390, Mar 7, 2005.

1. mikayak390

mikayak390 Registered Member

Hi
    I have an 89 suburban and a77 c10 stepside. Both have some rust issues in the rockers, and lower fenders. The c10 is by far the worst cancer patient. Flinstone floors, missing floor mounts, cab corners are poor, and the door skins are shot.

I saw some of your past posts about using 2x3 square stock for rock slide rockers and diamond plate floors. That may be a future project for the burban and will probably ask more questions about that later.

For now I am thinking of going cheap and "stock looking" for the c10. I saw JC whitney has a cool little body pannel kit that includes rockers, floor pan, cab corners, body support brackets, and something else. Its about $60 per side and made of"heavy guage metal"

Anyone ever try these? Since they are so cheap I sort of assumed they are 22 gauge stampted tin or something.
    I don't need much strength, but I would like to be able to weld them in with out melting holes instantly.

Anyone have an oppinion on those parts or anything similar?

Thanks

Mike

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

all parts are crap from the same 1 company. thay all stick there own sticker over it. and it fits like crap. but if you have the time and patcience you can make it close. i wont buy that stuff any more.!!

3. big_black_blazer

big_black_blazer 1/2 ton status

aftermarket parts are crap. if possible, i bend everything out of galvanized. then sand town the side that you plan to paint. the other side won't rust. in places that tend to rust, like rockers and inside the tailgate, i used fiberglass.:grind: :hack: :weld: :k5:

4. mikayak390

mikayak390 Registered Member

Thanks I figured if they were that cheap they probably were junk. I may weld in 16 guage sheet where I can, but I don't have the equipment to do nice acurate bends. I would like the c-10 to look somewhat nice.

Thanks for the heads up on the parts though.

5. JSH

JSH Registered Member

Many of the JC Whitney patch panels are actually made by Tabco, a U.S. company with a pretty good reputation. I have some of their rockers, floor supports, and a floor pan and they seem as heavy as the stock metal and appear to match the oem contours pretty good. I haven't installed them yet so I can't verify they are an exact fit-probably will require a little hammer and dolly work here and there but don't appear to be "junk" in my opinion.