Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Restoration

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blopez, Jul 20, 2006.

1. blopez

blopez Registered Member

Hello all, I would like to start by thanking you guys for all your help on the last stage of my project; I would have walking around in the dark rebuilding my front axel if it wasn't for this forum. ANYWAY I need more advice.

I am going to start restoring the body on my 1972 GMC Jimmy. Here is my plan.

(1) Sand off all paint were there could be rust under. and sand off all old screwed up rhino linner.

(2) I want to seal the bare metal with some kind of sealer but what should i use.

(3) How do i repair the rusted out metal; fill it with weld, cut out bad metal weld in new metal, Bondo?

(4) Primers?

Any help would be great,

Thanks in advance,

Brian

2. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Start by buying a good book on body repair. Use patch panels if available, saves alot of time.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

for bare metal, piss coat of zinc chromate followed by an epoxy primer, topcoat...

best for rust is to eliminate it.. cut it out thoroughly, sandblast surrounding area, weldthru primer, patch, etc, etc...