Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Sag

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blue72K5, Jan 15, 2002.

1. blue72K5

blue72K5 Newbie

I have a buddy with 72 k5 and he is considering putting a soft top on it, but some guy he was talking to said that the body will sag in the middle from not having the support of the top and he won't be able to open the doors. I've never seen this happen, Have any of you??

Thanks, Blue72k5

2. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Could be true if the rubber body mounts are shot. But it is not the end of the world. I do not run any top, and I did need to adjust a few things after I reinstalled the body (after resto) to get the doors to align properly. I am using new body mounts and hardware, but it was pretty easy to jack up the body and slide a 3" washer between the body and mount in a few select places to get the doors aligned. If you do this, it makes logical sense which mount to put the washer in when you see how the door seams look. Good luck! JT

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

If your body grommets arent shot you can put shims in the body mounts by the door. this will fix the body sag problem and make the doors line up properly. If the body mounts are shot you will have to replace them. abought $170.00
    nathan

4. Bill4rest

Bill4rest 1/2 ton status

I afraid of this as well, as one sunny day I was running around with the top off on a bumpy road and the body was making all sorts of noise!. I figured the body mounts and I'll be putting in a full cage to stiff'n up the body itself.

5. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

Which is why we need to figure out how to take the doors off!!! I put a Kayline top on my Jimmy about 3 years ago and I have no problems with my doors!!

HOWEVER, the infamous rocker boxes under the doors are in really good shape on my Jimmy. They can rust out and if they do you will def start seeing sag issues. Those boxes are the main support for having a roof off.

You may wanna check out the "Doors Stuck when Flexed" thread. Burt4x4 is gonna replace his rocker boxes with 3x3" box tubing and then take his doors off as well!

Good luck...Sam