Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body seam filler/sealer recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dyeager535, Aug 11, 2005.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Have to reinstall the cover in the bed that hides the fuel tank fill neck hole. (seals along the bed and the bed side) Supposed to be a gasket, not paying more for a gasket than I did the OEM metal piece!

Also on the topper, right in the center where the two halves come together, there is supposed to be some sort of caulk-ish stuff to fill a decent sized hole.

Anyone got any suggestions? I'd use silicone, but if I have to pull the fill cover again, it would be very hard to clean up. Besides, with the amount of silicone I'd need, it would probably cost as much as a tube of "good" stuff.

Doesn't really need to be strong adhesive-wise, it's more just a sealer in both locations. Hoping something I can kind of peel off in large chunks if I have to. If it firms up quickly that's a plus, as the bedside piece has some slop built into it that I need to take into account.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Perhaps the stuff that they glue late model windshields in with would work for the gas pipe cover. It's a black poly that's available in caulk tubes.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I know what you are talking about, didn't even think of that. Replaced the butyl they used to use.

Now, can you buy this anywhere, or is it a paint/body place only item?

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm not sure where to get it. I would stop by a windshield place with part in hand and ask them where to get enough to cover those edges. They just might apply a bead for ya... :rolleyes:

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

3m..

I 've used 3M body seam sealer quite a bit in the past--its responsible for much of the rust on GM trucks and cars if you ask me!--I have peeled off some of it in cars and trucks I've bought--it usually does not adhere well,after a few years moisture pops it off the sheet metal,then water sits under it,causing rot!.. :mad:

I've used regular "gutter seal" caulking from Home Depot,which is Butyl Rubber--it sticks like bubble gum,and works well ,it does not peel off--but removing it is a hellatious chore..I'd only reccomend it for rust patches that will never be removed...I used some on my C10 and my van 3 years ago--still looks like I did it yesterday!.. :bow:

3M does make a "Strip Caulk" which is butyl rubber cut into strips--its called "dum dum" by some body shops..it seals fairly well,and is easily removed...they only sell it in boxes ,probably a lot more than you need.. :(

The windsheild butyl rubber would probably work as good or better than anything else..I would refrain from using silicone,especially RTV!--I used it on a leaky windsheild,and it rotted the windsheild frame to hell in less than a year!--its got acids in it that eat sheet metal!.. :doah: :crazy: