Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Sheet Metal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlazerBuddy88, Jan 10, 2006.

1. BlazerBuddy88

BlazerBuddy88 Registered Member

Hello out there i am starting a floor repair on my 88 k5 and i was looking for sheet metal but not quite sure on what size to use. I was thinking along the line of 1/4 in. or 3/8 in. if any one as done this before or knows the right thickness sheet metal to use that would be a big help thak you.

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

HOLY crap 1/4" is WAYYYYY to thick.
    Stock is around 18 guage.
    Either get that or get some 16 guage if you live in a rust prone area.

3. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I can send you aluminum repair panels in the shape of brr cans if price is a concern.

4. BlazerBuddy88

BlazerBuddy88 Registered Member

thanks for the advise this is my first time dealing with sheet metal so was not that sure on sizes.:doah: that is why i put this post up so i didn`t make a costly mistake. but now that i know i will be off to the hardware store on my day off friday and will try it thanks guys .:D

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

way too thick!!

Geezz..the FRAME ain't even 1/4"!!:p: ..thickest stock I ever used was an old 275 gallon oil tank sawzalled to size..and it was a BITCH to bend and work with!(about 3/16" thick!)..I ARC welded it in without burning through.:eek1: --after I was done,I swore I'd never use metal that thick ever again (not that I'd have to on that truck !)..

I've used 16 gauge galvanized sheet metal I got free from old freezers from a warehouse years ago..36"x8'3" long,and I got several sheets..patched a LOT of floors and door bottoms with that stuff..got sick breathing the zinc fumes too..be careful when brazing or welding galvanized..use a fan,and do it outdoors if possible..a respirator would be a good idea too..I was sick for days after fixing the floors in the first truck I used galvanized metal on..:(

I've used metal from old washers and dryers,refridgerators,and heating ducts from the local landfill's metal pile--also sheet metal from furnaces and hot water heaters,and a filing cabinet or two have found their way onto the holes in many of my rotted relics....(once as a teen,I used old snow shovels,hammered to fit, to cover the holes in my 56 Chevy pickups floors!)..

I found the epoxy paint on the appliances holds up good to outdoor exposure..plus its FREE!:D ...galvanized is worth using,IF you can weld it safely.(or use screws or rivets instead)...around here,its all that lasts more than 2 years..and you only have to paint the areas you welded..the galvanized parts never rust very much..:laugh:

6. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

The stryker in A-Stan we had has 3/8" floor panels...

[​IMG]

I'm not messing with you, it just got me thinking about what would actually have 3/8" floor panels.

Al