Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body springs????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cybrfire, Dec 28, 2002.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

OK, I heard the other day that some guys have taken valve springs and put them under their body mounts on a longer bolt and left enough thread that when the body would begin to flex and pull on the body bolts the valve spring would collapse about .5" to allow more flex! Has anybody actually seen this done? What about the safety factor? I'm thinking it would be ok on a trail only rig but don't know about highway use. I guess from what the guy said it is mainly done on the rearmost and foremost bolts on the body tub. I would like to know if anybody here has tried this and if they did any comparing. Still wondering about a safety issue here.

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

This doesnt sound like a good Idea. You want most of your flex to be in the suspension and not the body. If you ever watched the 2nd TTC video think of the "flexy van", on the brake test it did an endo!!! The rear tires came all the way off the ground! That thing was worthless it had so much flex.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Not arguing with you but I think the idea is to keep the body from flexing by allowing it to move away from the frame. I could see where a hard brake could possibly raise some issues. I don't think I would try this unless I seen some hard data.