Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body swap and smog laws...?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by ChevyCaGal, Jan 28, 2003.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

OK this might not be for a while...(ok really maybe a few years). But anyhow... if I were to swap another body on my truck, one from say a pre-smog year here in CA with a valid vin number, would this affect my smog status? It's not that I wanna run around pouring black smoke from the back of my truck. It's just that I'm really tired of playing the smog game and having to buy parts that cost 3-4 times more because it has some idiot special smog friendly number on it! How would this work or would it? Thanks!

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> IF the new body has a valid title then just run with that VIN. I've never seen a smog station ref check the frame VIN, and besides that you'll never need to smog it so noboady will know that the body was swapped. </font color>

3. ChevyCaGal

That'd be so nice. Too bad I couldn't just swap vins... that'd be a lot easier! At least now I know it is something to consider down the road. Like I said I don't want to do it to get away with something like puking out smoke. It just the parts are way over priced for this special sticker making them legal and we all know they are simply legal because some fool who makes the laws made a deal with them... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Swap the VINs... I will not tell. LOL

5. ChevyCaGal

You think they'd notice? LOL... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Technally they register off the year of the frame. So if you ever did get caught, look out. And that's a lot of work. You might as well build the pre-smog truck its self.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well Steph if you decide swaping VIN's let me know so I can help you do it without it being caught, no one can tell it's been removed.
    As for the frame, I never looked at it here but where i come from I had an accident and the frame was beyond repair and we had to swap frames from a junk yard and there was no paperwork for the frame so I ended up changing the stamped numbers, I still have the tools to do that too.
    And as I said I wasn't doing anything like poluting or stealing a car, just trying to repair without going through all the mumbo jumbo legal stuff, which is not legal but I believe morally correct.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Or you could just do whatever you want and find someone who will smog your truck no matter what. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif maybe a 12 pack or $50 extra or something. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

You just gotta find that "friend of a friend" thats a smog tech.

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Be carefull Ryan.
    You could get someone in trouble if someone heard about him doing so.

10. Ryan B.

Get who in trouble? I don't know of anyone who smog's. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    But yes if you got someone to illegally smog yer rig and then someone found out they could lose there smog licence. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

This is how a guy that i knew got away with running a hot 454 in a 90's truck. He knew a smog guy.

11. ChevyCaGal

I honestly see nothing wrong with someone wanting to pass smog by handing over an extra $50 to run something they like (not that I would because I know some fool would cry and that'd be a fat fine)... I mean frick we all mostly have exhaust systems that we spend big bucks on so those are good. What ticks me off is I see the city bus puking crap out by the tons and that is fine... but I wanna run dual exhaust and I am a criminal even though the parts used are top of the line. Oh and what about these idiots with crap pouring out the rear and they can because it's a 72. That makes me so mad! I think it's wrong I have to pay so much more when I am not trying to pull a fast one and have crap pouring out of my truck... yet redneck Rob can run around looking like he's on fire... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Well Steph ypu're just wrong on this. Redneck Rob can't run around just pouring out crap just because it's a pre-smog. He can still get a smoke ticket. And if you see them running like that call 1-800-exhaust and file a complaint. Same fron busses big rig etc. And if you want a pre-smog Blazer to build, buy a '74 or earlier. And a 3"+ single exhaust can flow as well as a 2.5" dual if you use the right parts. On the bad days the air around here is so bad you could almost cut it with a knife.

13. ChevyCaGal

You need to come here and see some of the vehicles I see on the road... I cannot tell you how many trucks, vans and cars I see daily puking out crap... maybe they'll be pulled over and stopped at some point, but for now they are driving around pouring it out... I have seen one car around for almost 6 months doing it. I called that number and they haven't done a thing to them! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If you see the same car pouring crap out then call again and have your friends call. They do send out letters from complaints and if they get engough complaints with out a responce from the car owner they'll go out and check it out.

15. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

I dont understand why so many people on here have problems with getting their truck smogged. I moved here from Illinois, and was terrified by "these types" of stories. Ive been living here now for 6 years and have never had issues with getting something smogged. Ive even had old British cars that i could get passed. Legally. Like 70~K5 said, the smog laws are there for a reason. Its just like dumping your used motor oil down the gutter. (ever wonder why the water tastes like crap ?) If your truck is in good running order, it will pass. All our trucks should be in perfect running order, after all.... thats what we do here.... work on "stuff" nothing sucks more than to be out wheeling with someone that has $5,000 in suspension and driveline upgrades only to have to tow their sorry-ass back in cause they couldnt pop $30 bucks on a tune up to keep their truck running. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

....phew! i feel better, i'll zipit for now /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

16. ChevyCaGal

Try being female and walking into a smog shop with a truck... they instantly think you are too stupid to find your butt. Everytime I get asked if I know I have to replace this and that and this is not working and so on... I always have to say you know what, smog it, I am not stupid I know my stuff... it's crappy to have to deal with fools like that.

Oh and my truck is not some big polluting piece of crap... I am like so if I wanna run duals with headers, 2 cats and 2 mufflers I am illegal? Makes no sense to me when I am buying the best parts money can buy and it's put together well and maintained well. This is my complaint. Why do I have to be punished because I want to do something different and make it a quality set up when I see idiots running around with crap and nobody says a thing to them...

Oh and your water sucks because you steal ours and you have to clean it from it's trek down there. Get your own local water you won't have to pump full of chemicals and it would taste just fine! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey Steph.
    I know it's not a solution but I could take your truck to smog stations and let's see if they pull the same crap on me.
    I agree with you on the STUPID SMOG LAW.
    You can fail because of a visual although you could have a sniffer test that is much better than the stock setup.
    Some States actually don't care about visual and they have nice clean running cars with all kinds of aftermarket parts.
    We should push for something like that here in CA.
    They don't really care about the polution, they just want you to do it your way.
    How many here have K&amp;N open elements but keep the stock air housing for smog purposes?
    This is stupid.
    /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

18. Ryan B.

I heard california is going to dynomometer smog's now...
    Unless your all wheel drive or full time 4 wheel.
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    That means it wouldn't just be an idle emissions test it would be throught the rpms under load. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

19. Ryan B.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Redneck Rob can't run around just pouring out crap just because it's a pre-smog. He can still get a smoke ticket. And if you see them running like that call 1-800-exhaust and file a complaint.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I think that 1800Exhaust complaint hotline is BS.
    Sure it's a good idea to do something about those people who are "gross polluters" and are dumping smoke out the tailpipe.
    ...but these things can be abused too... I've seen guys in high school call that on other people as pranks.
    My grandpa even got one of those in the mail.. WTF!? In his '76 chev pickup that runs and smogs perfect, and he had to go get it checked out and signed off or some crap.
    What scares me is someone who is a chevy hater or just a person irritated by my loud exhaust could call that hotline on me to stir up $hit. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    Or if you just hate the rice rockets in your town.. you can get even with em. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

20. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Were do you live Ryan?
    Here in Sac we've had that for years now, I got away with mine because of the full time hubs.
    ANyone want some?
    I got a couple of sets sitting here, cost me $25 will sell for cost.