Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body swap on to a newer frame ?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by j20m715, Jun 20, 2005.

1. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

I searched & couldnt find anything.

My question is has anyone put a 67-72 pickup body on a 73-87 frame ?

I have looked for body mounting measurements but havent come up with any.

I am looking to put a 72 body on a 86 frame.

Thanks in advance.

2. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

I am too looking for some info on this. I posted up in the garage, and one guy said that building some mounts shouldn't be that bad. But i didnt get any measurements, or specific info, but would like some..

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yes it can be done with the right mod's. Body mounts would have to be moved/modified to be able to mount the cab to the frame. Just look at others who have put hot rods together on completely different makes of vehicle frames. Just need to do some mod's to make it work and you'll be golden :thumb:

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Registered Member

my 2 bits

I haven't done this, but I believe that the 73 and up Blazers are about 6" longer , just like a shorty pick-up. I don't know why one would switch to a newr frame the OEM frames are a good design and have better bracing at the steering box. The best way to do it (I'm a welder) would be to set up an "A" frame over the project, rig the body onto the new frame, line it all up, then remove the cab mounts from the frame and mount them to line up with body (you might have to modify the mounts or fab new ones) making new mounts for the body would be alot harder than changing the ones on the frame. Make a "Zero line" to take all measurements from or you'll never get it right. The wheel-base is longer on the newer frames so you'll probably need a bodylift ( the frame heights will be different) as well as a suspension lift if not some fender triming. You could also line the body up with the front suspension and then move the rear axle to suit, way better idea than trying to move the front axle, what with all the steering and such. Any way you do it it's alot of work to do it right.

5. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

If you compare a 72 1/2 ton frame to a 86 1 ton frame you would understand why I want to do this.

I guess I should have been more clear I want to put a 72 1/2 ton 4x4 short bed TRUCK body on a 86 1 ton 4x4 TRUCK frame. I was planning on shortening the frame in the rear for the short bed.

The real question is about the frt (core support & 4 cab mounts), I was hoping someone has done the swap & said "yeah same dimensions, bolt right up !) I know this is being alittle optimistic but what the the heck.

6. xlr8n67

xlr8n67 Registered Member

my truck has a 73 frame with a 67 cab and 70 everything else. rear frame chop is all that was done. i did not even know about it until i ordered a lift for it and the springs were wrong. still have the 67-72 4" springs in the garage :doah: the rear cab mounts were modified a bit but still in stock location

7. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

8. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Hijack j20m715 airspace

Hey 71 restrorod, I was wondering if you could give me some information. I read your thread on cancer support group and looked at your pics but didn't see any of the lower "B" post inside lower bed. There was one called "looking inside" but it was too dark to make out any detail. I have to fab up this area since I don't think the parts are sold. could you pls. help me out with pics.or drawings of this area. Waiting your reply to get my wood bed project going forward again! Sorry to interrupt this conversation you guys had going. Maybe you could tell how to get in touch with you. :bow:

9. blazerbuilder84

blazerbuilder84 Registered Member

There is a pick up in Gothenburg, Ne like that. 1972 body on a 73+ frame. I will get some information and get back to you. (It looks like someone was in a hurry, and did a hack job.)

10. gn4u2c

gn4u2c 1/2 ton status

The way we did it was sit the boudy with front clip on down on the frame centered everything thing then took the measurments and made new brackets out of 1/4 plate and wleded them to the frame so the original cab mounts could be used. looks 100% factory when done just take your time.

Might I warn you. You will LOSE some flex using the 1 ton frame. This will hinder heavy trail use NOT help as many think. If you are just using it on the road or heavy hauling you will be fine.