Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body swap questions and ideas

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mud390, Nov 11, 2002.

1. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I have a 77 k5. dana44/12bolt 350/auto 350/203. The drivetrain is relatively good shape, but the body on the other hand leaves more to be desired. I looked into the s10 body swap and I like the looks, but it looks to be more work and hassle than what I am willing to deal with. I also want it to be streatable without having to worry about the police starring at me everywhere I go. I also looked into putting a truck cab on the chassis. I like the looks and it seems pretty straight forward. While looking into this i found that it would be easier to stick with a cab from around the same year model, but I don't know how new I can go. Something about the body mounts and the cross member not matching up. Any help here would be great! Also, is there anyone who has done this? What problems or hang ups did you have along the way? Any tips or suggestions? I don't see where it would matter if the cab was 2wd or 4wd, but am I wrong here? Just a hole in the trans tunnel right? Thanks for all the help.

Kris

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

you can use any K5 Body from 73-80 IIRC

i think in 81 they raise the rear floor or something like that so that it is not an easy swap.

I would be on the look out for a 73 k5 tub. No federal emissions and full convertable/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Just a FYI...78 was the first year for the rear footwell.

Send FRIZZLEFRY a pm...he swapped a pick-up cab and stepside box onto his K5 frame.

Rene

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!

Kris

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

One hassle I had "making" a truck (although thats what swapping bodies is) was the inspection process. You are effectively changing the VIN of the vehicle by swapping bodies but no other parts (engine, tranny and frame VIN won't match the body) so you more than likely are supposed to have the state police (in my case) inspect it and give you a new VIN.