Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body swap questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mlaux, Aug 25, 2006.

1. mlaux

mlaux 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My buddies 78 is badly rotted. He has located a good 82 body and wants to swap it. Will the body mounts and wiring harness be the same between these two?

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

there will be some differences, the front clips are totaly different between thoes two years, the wiring will probley take some work to make it all go together. other than that it should not be to bad

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Even though the body change happened they are very similar. I did a swap from a 79 pickup to an 82 and it was really easy.

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Does the '78 have rear seat floor pan for the passenger's feet. Some of the older trucks the rear floor rises up right behind the front seats. Newer trucks, the floor rises up under the rear seat.

If the rear floor rises up under the rear seat on the '78, the body swap won't be a problem. Otherwise the frame and body mounts will be a little different.

5. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

When I did my body swap (80 to a 82 Blazer) I used the wiring harness from the 80 because I knew it was good and had no idea what was up with the new one. It really isn't hard to swap especially if you are doing something as big as a body swap it should be no problem.