Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body swap - suburban to pickup

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by idislikeunc, Nov 2, 2004.

1. idislikeunc

idislikeunc Registered Member

I'd like to swap a pickup cab onto my 1990 suburban frame (1/2 ton 4wd). Will an '87 cab fit? Can I use a 2wd cab? Anyone ever done it?

thanks, Paul

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have never heard of anyone doing it to a burb, but many have done it to a blazer. you most likely will have to make the rear cab mount for the pickup cab. other than that, it should work fine.

get some pics also /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I know someone putting a S10 on a burb frame, but not a full size truck body. I think that the mounts will be different.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've helped build a few pickups with a suburban chassis--you need to rob the rear cab to frame mounts from the pickup frame,and bolt them in the correct spot after you put the cab in place and line up the front cab mounts(they line up fine with the truck cab).The wheelbase is different on a suburban,and the rear frame is slightly longer,and its not the exact same bends as a pickup frame--its a chore to put a pickup bed on a suburban frame--the body mounts on the burb are in the way,and you have to make holes in the frame for the bed.The 2 trucks I worked on were mainly for off road use only,we put a long flatbed on both to carry firewood in log lengths--another guy I now found it easier to just saw off /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif the suburban behind the drivers door,and put the back wall of a pickup cab on it,and make it a flatbed.They haul a lot of wood! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

you want pics? front cab mounts will line up fine. rear cab mounts will have to be fabbed. i can get any pics you need. i have an 88 obs cab on my 75 burb frame.