Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MUD JUNKIE, Sep 15, 2004.

1. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

quick question,how hard would it be to swap a newer body style onto a 79' chevy frame? it would be an offroad truck only,so all the wires except for maybe lights wouldnt be needed.would the holes line up for the body mounts? since my 79 is all rust,I was thinking on buying a newer 2 wheel drive long bed like anywhere between a 88-92 model and putting it on my frame.anyone ever do this?

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

none of the body mounts would line up between those years. unless you stayed withthe same non ifs style rigs (88 to 98 are ifs on the truck line) also the newer ifs rigs have a huge step in the frame for the cabs. would be hard to do but i say it wouldn't be inpossible.

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I have an 89 C1500 that I was going to use the body from on my 79 K20. I decided that it would probably be easier to make spring mounts on the 1989 2wd frame than to make body mounts on the 1979 4x4 frame.

4. tlarsw

tlarsw 1/2 ton status

I'm considering the same kind of swap. I'm looking at putting a 96 extended cab with a bobbed 4ft bed on my 86 SWB frame, if I can get it to work.

I figured it would be easier to do a straight axle under a IFS frame also.

5. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 77 pick up with an 84 body on it. Buying the truck was kind of a mistake but i dont care. The guy put a slot behind the bench and pried it up so he could put a nut where the back body bolt is. I think the mount where the cab support is either tapped or theres a welded nut on it. The front mount was fine, but he used carriage bolts and the was no square for them to sit. The body was sitting on 2x2 cut pieces of aluminum for a body lift. I would highly not recommend doing the swap unless you want a n!##%^igged truck. Also dont put a body lift on a pickup becuase the bottom of the bed doesnt rest on the frame and bends in if there's alot of weight or of its rusty. The very back of my bed is wavy and bent down from the rear bed mount to back edge of the bed.

Later

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

8. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

I was thinking bout swapping an 85 K5 body onto a 77K5, should this work? or are the mounts different?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif