Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FRIZZLEFRY, May 14, 2001.

1. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Its getting harder and harder and more expensive every year to smog my 81 .I just spent $480 to get it to pass this year.I love my truck and have spent lots of time and $$$$$ to get it where it is.I see my options as either sell it ,move to a different state,buy a 73 or older truck and swap all my good stuff on to it ,or put a 73 truck cab on it with a shortened bed on my Blazer.I like the truck body on my Blazer idea the best.Ive looked at the wiring at the main connector below the booster on some mid 70s trucks and I think the harness on my Blazer would plug right in to a truck and Im more than capable of doing the frame mods to mount the cab.So my question is would I register it as the body I put on it?Ive found a 73 4x4 down the street.Who would know I swaped?I love my truck but I dont want to lose it because the state says its a piece of [censored] and a gros polluter.What do I do?

Proving once again that man CAN live on beer alone

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Buy a 72K5 and swap all your good stuff over and then you will have a first gen K5 full convertable too...

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I would love to get an older Blazer but I dont have the kind of money for a Blazer.I see 70s 2x half ton trucks with no engine or trans or just not running from between $200 and $500 with great body condition and ok int.I think an early Blazer at that price would be a real bucket.

Proving once again that man CAN live on beer alone

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Your best bet is to call your DMV office. Tell them that you are building a project vehicle that you would like to make street worthy. The FRAME IS A ROLLING CHASIS OF YOUR CURRENT TRUCK. And for some freak incidence the body is no longer usable. Now you are going to salvage the wreck. I.E... you are putting it underneath the earlier model for a resto./rebuild. Transfering bodies is easier said than done. Things you have to watch for are the locations of body mounts between the two. It better to do the cab first. Find a good location to mount your computer, if so equiped. Definitely closer to the stock location or as much as possible. The main fuse panel is easily disconnected from the newer body. Just leave it connected, wrap it up, and drape it over the engine for now. If your going to upgrade to aft.mkt. poly bushings, replaceing the OE rubber ones, or adding a body lift. DO THIS NOW. Save the annoyance. The only other pain is your fuel filler location. It is different, so your going to have to make a trip to the store and get some extension hoses. I know, I am forgetting something so I will get back to you on it. BTW,[​IMG] nooooo I havent done this before[​IMG].

[​IMG] Dont steal my truck..I dont need anymore worthless junk over my fireplace.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I was going to go on and on about how to increase your chances of passing, then I checked your profile and saw you were in CA. The one option you didn't mention, is MOVE. That state sucks with their emissions, so i can see how you are having problems. Their standards have to be higher than everyone elses, but FWIW, my truck passed our states emissions (no visual though) test with no cat and no AIR. I know you've got to keep your stuff intact though.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen