Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body swap??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by garagelogic, Jan 24, 2002.

1. garagelogic

garagelogic Registered Member

OK. Just got my 77k5. Gonna use it for mudding. Got it running good finally. Now I need to swap out the body. I am going to use a 85k5 body in decent shape. (Not a Minnesota body originally, so mostly rust free.) Any thing I should do before I put the new one on?

Right now it's a beater but soon it'll be meaner:-)

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

MM yeah keep the 85 on it's frame and swap over your running gear,LOL. the body mounts are different. It can be done..Rene(tRustyK5) did it to his I believe. You need to fab a new middle body mount I think.

<hr></blockquote> Do not write below this line

<hr></blockquote>

3. garagelogic

Thanks for the advice, but I goofed on the year. It's an 82 not a 85 like I originally said. I blessed the Blazer the other night with ritualistic blood from my knuckles then a few bottles of beer. So now the swap will go nice and smooth. After all, what could possibly go wrong??????

4. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

don't forget the wires for the lights and fuel tank sending unit that are attached to the body,,yet circumnavigate through the frame rail's. you lifting this off with a few buddies or hoist ? just go slow and every few inches you go up,,check underneath to make sure nothing is hung up.you might break somehting you need

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

82 or 85 doesn't matter at all...you'll still need to fabricate a pair of body mounts. The floorpan and the frame on the 77 is diferent than the later years. I'd do what Jeremy suggested and swap drivetrains into the 82 rather than the 82 body onto the 77 frame.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

6. garagelogic

I think I'll take everyones advice and try to see if I can take the frame, One of my friends, (the one who got me hooked on mudding) is a welder, so he can fabricate some brackets for me if we need to. I could probably just buy a set of OEM body mounts and make them work for me if need be.

I need to become a member here soon, I'm on this site way too much.

Thanks for all the help!!

7. tRustyK5

The newer style frame has a drop for the footwell area behind the front seats. The older style does not. I ended up making a large complicated crossmember for the frame of my 81 Jimmy so I could bolt up the 73 tub. Without any exaggeration I probably spent 10 to 12 hours getting it right, and I fabricate for a living. It was far and away the most difficult part of the swap...and my swap involved splicing the front half of an 81 Jimmy to the rear half of a 73 Blazer.

Good luck!

BTW, if the members rides is up and functioning click on tRusty pic's below and have a gander at my swap.
    "Edit" Members rides is still down...sorry.

Rene

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

8. garagelogic

Yup, that sounds like too ugly of a job for me. I am going to check on getting the frame Monday. If I'm not able to, i'll just go buy one from another junk yard. Really appreciate the advice. I would have been screwed had it not been for this forum.

9. tRustyK5

No problem...

Rene