Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body swap

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by upperkase, Feb 7, 2002.

1. upperkase

upperkase Registered Member

Does any one know if I can swap a '69 Blazer body onto a '84 Blazer frame-
    and if so what kind of modifications would I have to make?

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

might want to ask this question on the 2nd Gen board also...Might get more repley's!

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda> Miscellaneous Debris </a>

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Not without a lot of fabrication of mounts and cutting the frame. there blazers are 3" longer if I recall right and the body mounts are nowhere near the same. Even that generation of blazers has like 2 or 3 different frames.

Like em big and topless
    You call THAT...a 4x4....LMAO?

4. upperkase

what is the 2nd gen board?

5. upperkase

How about moving my springs and axles over to the "69 from the '84?

6. ImpalaSS

ImpalaSS 1/2 ton status

the axles will go on, springs wont

68 SWB 4x4 1 of 1,449 made 327, 465, rockwell tcase, dana44, 14 FF, <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/68K10>http://communities.msn.com/68K10</a>

7. frito

frito Registered Member

the front springs wont switch 1st gens are shorther than 73-up's the rears i dont know about ... but i think are differient .... why do you want to take a 69 body off its frame and put it on a later year frame if i might ask ? =) 1st gen frames are generaly stronger than 2nd gens (you can tell just by looking at the frame! =)

71 K5 Blazer,350/TH350/205 33's/ 2inch lift for now, soon to have 14B FF and D60 in a few weeks

8. upperkase

My blazer is a '84 and the floor is rusted out pretty bad on the passenger side floor (before and aft the seat). I was contemplating welding in some metal, but then I thought I really want that '69 blazer in the neighbors back yard. Nevertheless, despite the rust, I've put alot of money into this '84. Everything from 6in lift to 4speed ovr drv tranny. I want to use all the part from the '84 to build the '69 like I want it, but i want to know it will work before I spend the money to get it.

9. frito

frito Registered Member

well most of the lift kit wont fit (springs in the front mainly) you prolly have blocks in the back (right? ) if not i dont think the springs will work on the 69, front axles will swap right in, your 84 prolly has a 10 bolt and the 69 has a D44. 69's had front drums unless they changed that and the rears wont swap but the 69 has a 12 bolt insead of a 10 bolt like your 84 should have and the 12 bolt is a better axle.

the trans and engine will swap but your 84 prolly has a 208 transfer case and the 69 prolly has a 205 and the 205 is better .. so you will need to look into a TC adapter for the 205 if you wanna use the 205 or you can use the 208 but you'll have to set up the shifter in the 69 and modify your drive shafts (208s have a rear slip yoke and front mounting flange, 205's are direct U-Joint yokes) and the shaft lengths could be wrong too... but it would be worth it i would go for the 69 and use your 84 for parts or sell it and get some good money for use to buy a lift and the like for the 69 if you wanna go with the older body style... also the 69 is gonna have its share of rust trust me =) my 71 has a bit of rust and most of it was reparied by a previous owner good luck !
    frito

71 K5 Blazer,350/TH350/205 33's/ 2inch lift for now, soon to have 14B FF and D60 in a few weeks

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Everything will swap but the front springs. Rear springs are the same for all K5's. Is that 4speed ovr drv tranny a 700r4? If so that would be easier then a manual.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

11. upperkase

Yes it is 700R4 and I have six inch springs front and rear.

12. JMZ

JMZ Registered Member

upperkase, I have the longer springs on my 72. I had to make spring hangers for the front. I moved the spring eye bolt 1`` farword. The shackles absorb the other 1`` so the axle sits in the original location. If I was in your shoes I would make it work. I basically did the same thing you are talking about , but I used parts off of a 77 pickup.