Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body vs. Suspension Lifts?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78k5_2, Aug 29, 2000.

1. 78k5_2

78k5_2 Registered Member

Hey all -
    Got a question for you. I want to put a life kit on my rig, but don't know what I should go with..body or suspension. What is the difference in the two. I want to go to 35" tires, so how much lift do I need? Pro's/Con's??

Thanks for the input...this forum is helping my out tremendously.

[​IMG]<font color=blue> K-5 Kowboy [​IMG]

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

This is my personal opinion.

Stay away from the body lifts and save up to buy front lift springs, shocks and a rear flip kit.

Since your center of gravity will be higher the added spring rates in lift springs will help keep you on all fours.

I personally dont like the look of body lifts unless they are in small amount, like 1" and then you cant really tell you have one.

To run 35's you can get a 4" lift and do a little fender trimming and you will be good to go.

Again, this is my personal opinion and I am not trying to offend anyone with a body lift.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

If you go body lift, don't go more than 2" I use to run a 3" body with 4" susp. Looks cool, but when wheelin on trails the body lift swings my body around. Feels like I'm gonna roll everytime. So I got rid of the 3" body for 1". If you want to go with 35" meats, than I suggest a 4" lift and small fender trimming. I run 35"s with 4" susp and 1"body now. no fender trimming neccessary for dail driving, but when I wheel, it rubs a lot. Fixin to trim it shortly. I do miss the ease of working under my truck with the body lift, like changing spark plugs, working on the body, etc. But that aint no big deal. Susp lift gives you more articulation on the trail. It's more exp. than body lift, but in my opinion less work. For susp, lift, you have basically have 3 options (in my opinion) 1.blocks, 2. new lift springs, 3. shackle flip.
    Blocks are cheapest, flip is cheap but the most work involved and new lift springs are expensive. Flip is the way to do though. Check out my site to learn more on it.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

4. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Body lifts lift the body from the frame which doesn't result in better off road performance, only room for bigger tires. A suspenion lift lifts the frame and body away from the axles resulting im better off road performance. But remember with a suspension lift you might have to correct the steering, drop the t case or lenghten the shafts. With the 35s you should get lower gears(higher number) but if you have 3.73s, you should be ok for a while.