Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body weight

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Roostr84, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I was curious about the hybrids you see with a compact truck on a fullsize frame and running gear. What I am wondering is are the differences in body weights alone between a fullsize cab and bed vs. a compact cab and bed that significant?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hmmm...

Hardtop=190 lbs
    doors are about 80-90 lbs each=180lbs
    The rear bed section from the doors back is roughly 350 lbs. My friend and I manhandled the bed section I spliced onto my truck into the back of a rental van.
    Tailgate is roughly 100lbs
    front fenders are about 25 lbs each=50lbs
    Hood is about 80-90 lbs

All told that puts the body at about 950-1000 lbs. How much heavier than a mid size pick up body is your guess...I'd say you might save 350 lbs max.

The only reason I'd swap a smaller body on is for width...not weight.

Rene

3. NCblackandredk5

NCblackandredk5 1/2 ton status

i have some friends with a s10 body on a blazer frame... the body didnt even push the frame down when we set it on there... id would guess its quite a bit lighter

4. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

The topic actually came up in a discussion between myself and a friend. Neither of us could really say though we were refering to pickups more than k5's vs. blazers. I just figured someone on here has some insight into it. Thanks for the replies fellas.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My guess on the full body with top and interrior...about 2,000 pounds. 2 guys can lift the cab of stripped out mini truck without much problem. I would say you could loose and easy 1,500 or so with a mini cab and front clip if you tried. Once you get a roll bar and other gear back on with 1 ton running gear, 38's you would probably end up with a truck that's about 4400l-4600lb trail weight. A k5 with full cage and hard top and 1 ton gear and 38's I'm sure is in the 5600-6k range for trail weight. There is a scale up the road I'll try and run my truck over it and see what it weighs if it's open on the weekend.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had a stock S-10 Blazer that scaled at 4200 lbs, my Jimmy scaled at 5700 with all my trail junk and a full tank of fuel.

For comparison a friend has a YJ that scaled 4100 with trail junk, full tank and driver.

Getting a K5 under 5000 lbs would be tough to do, especially with one ton diff's.

Rene