Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body work and sandpaper

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CrazeeBush, Jun 5, 2000.

1. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

Starting on the body work for the ol' K5 and want to know what is a good grade of sandpaper to start with roughing up the paint? And what is a good grade to sand down that fiberglass top. I'm so excited about finally having some time to start but I don't want to spend 2x the time fixing nasty scratches from too rough of sandpaper.
    Thanks,
    JoSH

2. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

60 or 80 for rugh fiberglass work, then go to 120.
    For detailed work go for 240, then 500 for the primer.
    After finishing paint job you can polish paint with
    500 or 1000, depending on quantity of paint you want
    to get rid off.

Balou
    '79 K5,350,465,205
    [​IMG]"Size DOES matter!!!" said the girl last night [​IMG]

3. Fast

Fast Registered Member

When I did mine a few months ago I used the 80 grit to rough up the areas that I had to use Bondo on. I also used the 80 grit to remove the excess Bondo followed by 220 then 380.After you prime you will want to block sand each time till you get the the surface how you like. You need to rember the paint still need to be able to get a bite on the surface(paint shop guys word). After that I used a Base coat clear coat system to paint it with a HVLP sprsay gun. Hope this helps.If you decide to sand the clear to polish it use at least 2000, as I tried 1500 and it left scratch marks, that I still haven't got out.

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I agree with fast....500 or 1000 is way to ruff to polish with.....even the way I paint. Buy a good quality automotive wet/dry paper.....wet sanding ( the primer) will make your paper last lots longer and give a nice finish. Bondo needs some good scratches to get ahold of. At least 80 for bondo areas. If you have an aircompressor get a Dual Action sander (DA) and go to town with some 80 grit. If you're going by hand......good luck!

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

5. lew

lew Registered Member

I agree
    No way on the 1000 grit final sand. I go 2000 on the top coat. Then for a real show shine use a 3m buffing compound. There are 2 types of buffing formula, one that looses courseness and one that will not during buffing. Use the one that breaks down if it is your first time buffing paint out, since it will reduce your chance of burns in the paint.
    I would also recommend a 2 stage paint. One stage sounds easier but the 2 stage base and clear is pretty much idiot proof. I used to use dupont Chroma Base but will be switching to PPG. Chroma-base sticks to everything including yourself PPG sticks to the work area alot better.
    Also use a high productivity primer helps take out the little surface imperfections a little.

Sent pic of cars brother and myself painted in garage.

Have fun.

6. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

I started with an electric grinder with at sanding pad. Don't know what grit it is but I's pretty rough I'm just taking mine down to bare metal first and starting all over. See if I can do it better than GM so it won't rust out like most did after a couple of years.

Wasn't me.............

7. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Best bet to get to the base metal is see about getting a sand blaster...it will remove everything , then primer as soon as possible. One trick before final paint is to primer first with red or black...the put a light coat of white on top of it. Then sand the white off, any low places will show up real quick. Fill those in with some glazing compound then resand. Last thing to do is wetsand with 440 on black paper. This ruffs up the primer just enough to make sure the paint will stick without leaving scratches...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

8. CrazeeBush

sweet, you guys are fountains of knowledge! hehe. Me and my buddy are going to paint it. Him as his Dad did this '69 Stang which i doctored a bit on my computer to trim out his brothers ugly truck. This is before his wet sand, it looks 1,000,000 times better now, and I think it looks damn good right here.

[​IMG]

9. CrazeeBush

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.. here's the attachment

10. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

I used my 85 Jimmy to learn on,,,, What I did with this was wet sand it with 1000 and 1500 grit,, then used 3M
    Rubbing compound and then 3M Polish/Glaze,, then Meguires 3 Step Gold Series,, Prep, Polish and Wax.
    I used an electric buffer with the first two steps,, each with their own pad,, then the last 3 steps by hand.
    [​IMG]

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound