Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Work any suggestions??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CaveBlazin, May 25, 2002.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Im gonna be doing some body work soon on my fenders and on my inside part of my bed Does anyone have any good suggestions on cutting tools or any suggestions on the right and wrong way to do things. Any help is appreciated.
    Sgt.Harris
    USMC

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

A Sawzall is what most guys around here use. Your question is pretty non-specific.....There are several fairly specialized tools you'll need to do "real" body work and not just hacking off fenders and such. Give us some specifics of what ya need or want to do and maybe we can help more. Also, try <a target="_blank" href=http://www.autobody.com>http://www.autobody.com</a> they have a nice forum you can read thru and pick up some good advice. There have been several body working post on here lately also...try a search. Good luck!

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

4. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

i used a cut off wheel.i think you have alot more control with one of these then you do with a sawsall.it takes longer but i think they do a better job.

5. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I 2nd the cutoff wheel, it was easier for me.

6. CaveBlazin

Thanks for the tips on the tools. What I'm gonna be doing is fixing the rust in the bed part of my blazer its gotten really bad. Does the idea of getting my hole interior sprayed with that bedliner spray sound like a good idea has anyone done it and what do they think of it now. I'll be doing a fender hack job as well. So I hope this helps you guys a little more but thanks for the tips so far PLEASE KEEP UM COMING..

7. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Alot of people have done their whole tub with liner. I've got a '73 that I did the cab of and my '74 has the whole tub lined. Both my trucks have Herculiner, a do it yourself brand. I preffer it over carpet or paint.

8. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey Spence...welcome to the "addiction"! All your issues have been hashed a lot in this forum and the 2ng gen forum. Try getting familiar with the search feature at the top of the page....it takes a little work to get the results you're lookin' for, but there is a TON of info on this site already, especially threads about Line X, Rhinoliner, Herculiner, Duraliner, Duraback etc. and rust removal. Ya might wanna put a little more info on your profile...like what year tuck etc. It helps everyone help you! Have fun on your project and here! Here is one link I found:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=garage&amp;Number=413856&amp;Search=true&amp;Forum=garage&amp;Words=bedliner&amp;Match=Entire%20Phrase&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=413856>Bedliner</a>

9. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

10. CaveBlazin

Thanks again Michael and all the people for there help. This site rocks!!!!!!!!

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yes i will also soon be replacing my whole rear floor..and eventually when i get the money the front as well..im 16..and bound and determined to do this!! it will take some hard work..but i have a good feeling i can do it. - i had a question though.. does the tailpan actually weld to the frame to..or just sit on it..supporting the two quarter panals?

Bryan later

12. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

bring the truck by tommarow. i am working on the same thing. just got all of the floor bedlined and have a few spots to cut out and weld in new ones.

13. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Check this out,
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/floorremoval.shtml>http://coloradok5.com/floorremoval.shtml</a>
    An artical by one of our own.

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

lol..thanx..but again..i already looekd at that..yea its a great article..gave me lots of info of what im in for..i gatta get a hold of a sawzall..and the right tools for this..i think i basicly have everythnig else laying around..were would i find this..hardware store or something!!??

Bryan-later

15. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Opps, sorry, musta missed it somewhere in the thread.

16. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

use a cut off tool for all the fine work, an air chisel for spot welds and metal you will replace anyway,spot weld drill to remove welds, and if you have access to one, a plasma cutter works real good. also an air nibbler for replacement sheet metal cutting.

if you cant get any of these then I would not even attempt anything other than minor sheet metal replacement unless you have lots of time and patience.....

check out these pics
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sone4120

17. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

bryguy...Sears will have most any tool you will need. Harbor Freight for cheaper stuff. As far as I know...nothing from the body, tailpan or otherwise welds to the frame.....the entire body is "floating" on the frame. Try getting a catalog from LMC...it has some nice reference pics and lots of parts.