Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body work experts, I need an opinion

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by Derf00, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Please take a look at the damage to the quater panel. Since I don't have the time or know how to repair the damage to the quarter panel, I wanted to have it repaired by a body shop. Of the the body shops I thought I would like to use they have said this is not repairable and want to replace the entire side panel. I don't agree, I think they are just looking for an easy way to fix it. I need some opinions. [​IMG]

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sounds to me like they just don't want to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif The part that is bent is mostly accessible from the back side. It would take a LOT of labor hours to swap out the entire quarter. I find it difficult to believe that it would cost less to buy a complete side and pay the labor for the swap and paint than it would to just bang it out, slap some bondo on it and paint just that part. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

its straightenable...(hmm, is that even a word)

how little mud depends on skill and labor into metalwork...

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

That's what I was thinking. I was born at night, but not last night. I am going to keep looking till I find someone that will repair it, and not replace it.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

You can pick up some rubber mallets of different sizes, take off the inside of the door, and do it yourself. it's not hard, just whack it until it looks good. Unless im missing something it couldn't take more than a couple hours/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

We are not talking about the door here buddy. The door will be replaced. It's the reat quater panel thats the issue.

I say, sand it down, weld the puller plugs on there, pull it out the best you can then repaint the entire Jimmy flat drab green or black; slap some 40's and TR beadlocks and call her done. But no one cares what I think... Dad /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Nobody rattled your cage jr. I know what you think.

84Jimmy - Key word "quarter panel."

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

doh! I saw the door, so thats what I was talking about... quarter panel... I'll remember this time /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

OMG, I see it now...
    Can't you just go under the truck and hit it out? I have that same dent on my truck, just not as bad. Thats what I plan on doing /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

go to Harbor Freight or somewhere and get one of those heavy duty suction cups, that will get most of it out.
    the rest can be beaten out and filled with mud.
    hell the door could probaly be fixed.
    my dad works with a guy that would spend all day beaten a door out like that, my old man still doesnt understand what the hell he is doing work for the Post Office body shop.

11. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

the suction cup wont work...well.. it will but it'll pop back in with a slight tap. If it was myself, i'd give it a shot.(work it out with a hammer,dolly, shrinking hammer. other tools like a maxi gun/nail gun is somthing i doubt u have) but dont work it too much, it'll start oil canning. then when you have the surface within 1/8 inch to original you can fill it. if done correctly it should be fine.
    sand paint off(40 grit) straighten, fill (sand with 80), skim coat it(super thin layer of filler just filling scratches)
    feather edges, always sand with a block diagonally, oh yeah dont forget to prime and paint. sorry if i'm wrong i'm just a kid.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Ok, I am going to go against the general concensus here. The shop will have at least 3 days into pulling the dent, slapping the bondo on, and getting it all straight. Then they still have to paint it. You'll lose your /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif for a week minimum. I can swap out an entire quarter panel and paint it in less than 2 days. It's much faster, easier, and cheaper for all involved. You'll drop more $$ for labor to fix the dented up quarter than it'll cost for a new one. The quarter panels are spot welded on and can be ground/removed rather quickly.

Just make sure that when they replace it they don't use body adhesive. That's also how a lot of shops cut down on time. Instead of welding it back on, they literally "glue" it back on. The benefit is that there is no warping due to welding, but the con is that it isn't restored to "factory" construction. Also if you go to sell it and the potential buyer has it inspected, they will be able to see right off that something happened to the quarter panel and may not belive you if you tell them that it wasn't involved in a wreck. If you spot weld it just like factory, then it's much harder to tell that it was replaced. Just my $.02 /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

13. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    may not belive you if you tell them that it wasn't involved in a wreck.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's an easy way around that...tell the truth. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's an easy way around that...tell the truth.

[/ QUOTE ] I thought was rock rash /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Bullet was in a wreck about a month ago I'm pretty sure. Someone pulled out in front of him and he either rolled or almost rolled, I can't remember for sure. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

16. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

OUCH!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Sorry. I didn't know that. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I hope he's alright!

17. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Bullet was in a wreck about a month ago I'm pretty sure. Someone pulled out in front of him and he either rolled or almost rolled, I can't remember for sure. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats what happened and a month or so before that they hit a Turkey. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif ALso derf told me thata hale storm made a mess out of the cowl hood that they have on there.

18. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Yep, you are pretty close to right. If it was rock rash I probably would be proud of it. But when an old lady hits you backing out of her drive way, ......well we considered lying. The damage would have been very slight if her trunk hadn't come open, that is what did all the damage to the door and quarter panel, her bumper hit the slider and other than scrathing it up, it didn't move. To add insult to injury, her insurance company said they wouldn't pay more than cash value of the Jimmy for repairs, or in other words, they said it was totaled. They offerd me $2100 if they kept the vehicle, /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif, so I opted to keep the vehicle and I got $1800.

Now to make matters even worse, two weeks after the wreck, we got caught in one hell of a hail storm. Well I am proud to report the softtop held up well, but the cowl hood looks pretty sad. The plus side of that is my insurance company gladly paid us $1000 no question asked to get it fixed.

So all in all I am going to try to due a decent repair done, but try and save some of the ins money for some good stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm starting to lean towards Matt's thinking. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

You may think the cheese slipped off my cracker, but lets look at this a little more deeply. I count at least 5 major 'incidents' over the last year or two with that truck. In all honesty that truck has been marked for doom...as some vehicles are. I'd spend the $2800 on some TR's and 40's, pound the worst of the dent out with a BFH, rattle can the rest of the truck and wheel it.

If you fix it up pretty again, something else will happen to it...maybe worse. Give in the the trucks own ambitions to be ugly and nothing will hit it again.

It's a vehicle zen thing...

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Rene

20. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm not a body man by any means but I know it will take quite a bit of time to fix the dent (i.e. not have a bunch of Bondo in it).

In any case I wouldn't consider replacing the entire panel, assuming it was a GM replacement and installed correctly, the cheap and easy way out of the repair.