Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body work HELP ME!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JunkYardCrawler, Nov 1, 2001.

1. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

ok i got a few small dents in my rig. i want them out. i am going to replace both doors and one front finder do to rust and exsesive bondo. now i need to know how to pound out my dents to where it looks decent. i don't want to use alot of bondo. the less the better. i will be able to weld in patch panels soon. but i have no money to buy them.

Going nowhere everybody is a Moto Psycho
    Got my wheels in motion and i got a path to beat

2. k5wantabe

k5wantabe Registered Member

Go down to your local discount hardware store (Harbor Freight) I think this one is on the net. Get a body kit. Has about 4 different shaped anvils,2 hammers. Use these to pound out the dents. Use the anvils on one side (match the vehicle conture to the anvil) and hammer from the other. Or use a dent puller(slam hammer) if you can't get to both sides. This has worked for me numerous times, and I am not a body person. Takes time, lots of hammering and sometimes so hard that you think your going to knock the panal right off. Then you can use some bondo to just smooth it over. I use a aluminum filled bondo stuff from a body supply store. Its harder and stronger that reg. bondo. Hope this helps. Only way to learn is just do it.

'88 Jimmy 350/700r4 3.73's 31in Maypops

3. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Fix dents? Why in the world do you want to fix dents? Dents show the world where you have been!!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all!!

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I fix dents by hitting other things on the trail :) Your best bet is too get the body hammer kit and spend alot of time playing with it. Also make sure you have lots of patience for it.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

JunkYard,

C'mon man.....We met at Hollister this past July, and in my opinion the best thing about your rig is that you were never afraid to tackle anything.....I spent the afternoon with Matt winching you out of the slop in the Tank Trap.....and watched you fearlessly careen into the HUGE waterhole (your Dad too!)

If you start fixing the bodywork....next thing you know you'll start questioning whether you should go down the "narrow trail" or "try the extreme stuff" for fear of body damage.

You've got the extreme, fearless attitude...I'd hate to see you trade that for some straight bodywork and a set of curb-feelers! [​IMG] ....just messin' with you bro'

-Greg72

6. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

no worrie about me finding someting to be fearfull of. i just want a nice truck everyonce in a while. very prod of mine, makes me feel bad when chicks see it and frown.:( and i just want something i to do to it that takes time and not a whole lot of money. so i figured beating it with a hammer would work. i'll prob just build another k-5 some ttime to have a nice one. one like yours Greg.

Going nowhere everybody is a Moto Psycho
    Got my wheels in motion and i got a path to beat