Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body work on lower doors

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by mini_mull, Apr 14, 2005.

1. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

I know the bottom section of my doors are going to need some body work when I get my paint done. From where the factory molding used to be down they are not straight, but a little bumpy and uneven, though not too bad. My question is, how does the body shop do this kind of work, pound on the sheetmetal or filler? Is it going to be expensive? Would it be cheaper to look for some perfect replacement doors? Thanks in advance.

2. personaltrainer

personaltrainer 1/2 ton status

good luck with "perfect" replacement door for a reasonable price. GM still sells them (if you can find them) for about $500 each OR you could get some crash parts for about $150 each but they are horrible. I looked at some new crash parts today and decided against it. I'll be rumaging through the junkyards once again!
    The bodyshop would likley just sand and put some body filler in it to smooth it out, unless of course, the dents are deep enough to warrant having to pull them out then smooth it. Not sure if I helped at all - just my .02.

ps. I've been door hunting myself all day!!!

3. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had the same problem...on one of my doors...
    It had a bullet hole...and about 50 digs...
    I welded up the hole...then put a coat of bondo over the whole door below the door handle. :cool1:

But it depends on the size of the digs...you may have to hammer/dolly. ;)

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

you could just a new door skin and put that on

5. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, guys. Looks like filler, new doors, or doorskin. What's doorskin? I would guess it's the top layer of sheetmetal on the door, but do you cut off the old and weld in new or what?