Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body work Q?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MILOLGJC, Aug 5, 2003.

1. MILOLGJC

MILOLGJC Registered Member

Pulled the rear cab off an old 76 I got from my father and the last 1.5" to 2" of the metal at the rear/bottom of the cockpit are turned to rust dust.(where it meets the body on either side of the side of the cab area.) I was thinking of treating with POR-15 and filling with putty and repainting, but wanted some helpful hints before I proceed. Thanks!!!!

2. Blazn88

Blazn88 Registered Member

I'd cut it out and weld in new sheet metal.. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

milol, where in florida? have pics of what you're talking about??

4. MILOLGJC

MILOLGJC Registered Member

No pics. The area in question is the aft end of the cab area where it meets the removeable top. The bottom portion of either side of the inverted u-shaped area where the body side panel meets the forward cab area is completely rotted through and has turned to rust dust. I cut out the metal and
    treated the surrounding area with POR-15. I was wondering if just plugging the area with a body filler/putty would be an acceptable repair. Jacksonville, FL

5. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i would cut back to were it is good sheet metal and weld in a patch piece, bondo is helpful, but it is not a cure all, you can only spread it to about 1/4" before you run the risk of cracking it and having it fall out.

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

bondo is a filler not a replacer...if you have to use something other than new metal...try using fiberglass and laying it out..