Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body work

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CV202, May 14, 2001.

1. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Has anybody swapped out the bedsides on their K5? How much of a PIA is it?? Bolt on? Welding?

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

2. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I had one cut off and a new one welded on and primered for $600. The panel itself was $200 on top of that.

-Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

3. 1990SilveradoK5

1990SilveradoK5 1/2 ton status

I am going to try to do it myself, sometime in the future. Along with rockers, and floorpans.

You can buy yourself a 120V MIG for $400-$500 and do it all yourself. That is what I am doing, MIG is in the garage just need the funds and time to do the job.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://1990silveradok5.coloradok5.com/>http://1990silveradok5.coloradok5.com/</A>
    Gone Large and Loving It.
    Keith

4. blazbrnc

blazbrnc 1/2 ton status

I just finished replacing both sides on my 79. The sides I used were off of a totaled mid-eighties k5. Before you start get measurements on where everything will need to be when it is back together ( tailgate width for example) The hardest part about the swap is drilling out all of the spot welds. You need to make sure you plan out where you are going to separate the bedsides from the cab/rear floorpan. I removed the entire quarter panel along with the rear inner fender. When you open the doors you will see where the outer skin is spot welded to the door jam. You will need to drill all of those out. All of the spotwelds between the inner quarter panel and the floor will need to be drilled out. You will want to use a sawzall to cut some of the old sides off so you can get to the spotwelds. The job itself isn't difficult, just time consuming. It took me about two weeks of nights and weekends. You will need a wire welder and a sawzall. I took pictures of the whole process, I can post some when I get the pics developed.