Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tank33, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Tank33

Tank33 Registered Member

Hi all. I am looking at a 87 K5 but just one problem. The post near the back wheels they look like beams built into the body, its before the back wheels. Anyhow, these support braces or whatever are rusted through, is that possible to fix or not? Truck has 200,000 KM with no powertrain work, needs tailgate and entire underside could use a wire brush to remove rust.

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about the braces under the rear tailpan? If so, they are just support braces for the corregated part of the floor, and yes they can be replaced. You can use your own metal, or you could probably get some from LMC.

http://www.lmctruck.com/

3. Tank33

Tank33 Registered Member

I will get some pictures taken soon hopefully. The pans look like surface rust, but some other stuff is rotted. I want to buy this strictly for winter use and no rock crawling no crazy driving, just for snow.

I just want advice from people who have owned these. I have heard alot of people say diffs, transfer cases, gears, are tons of money and a common repair on these, but I do not know so this is the perfect place to ask.

Will try to get pics ASAP!
    Thanks

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Are you talking about the vertical, 3 sided, channel section that ties into where the floor steps down?

super common spot... mine are bad... it measures out to a standard piece of channel, easily replaced...

5. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

If its as rotted as you say you will end up replacing most of the sheet metal. Unless you really like doing body work I'd say stay away from it. Also note I bought my jimmy with new doors, fenders, floors and rockers for 4000. I ended up replacing the tailgate and had to fab up a hinge mount for it because one side of the crossmember was completly gone. I'm also now finding out that there may be a "wee" bit of bondo and paint covering some ruster quarter panels, so guess what next years project is:crazy: .

Ya So if I ever bought another one I'd defenately look for one from down south. You WILL come out ahead.

Hey where on the prairies are you located? I'm in Winnipeg

6. Tank33

Tank33 Registered Member

The reason I am thinking about buying this truck, is the interior is absolutely mint. Three small dash cracks, other then that, the interior looks brand new, no seat rips, nothing at all. The exterior looks great from far away, but once you get close, you notice things. The inner fender wells have holes rusted through, easy fix. Rocker panels need to be done, basically the entire underside is rusted except for the pan above the rear axle. Has a fuel inejcted 350 and a 6 inch lift on it. The guy wants 3000 for it. I planned on doing new hood, doors, tailgate now, and then next year probably doing all the pans and such.

I just want to know if it is a wise choice or not. I need something before winter comes and do not have alot of cash.

7. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Are you talking about these?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These were the only rust holes in my 1987 had and I paid $1,375.00 usd. It came from North Dakota.
    If you have a lot of rust I would think twice unless you can do a lot of cutting and welding your self!
    The army ones sell for around $3,000 with good body and good running condition. They are diesel and
    get around 23 mpg on highway. I get 17 on highway with Police set up 305 tbi Th700r and 3:08 gears.

8. Tank33

Tank33 Registered Member

No those are not it. I will take pictures ASAP and then post them here to get your opinon. Thanks anyways though!