Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BodyPanels....the pain of rust

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by freeforever, Mar 28, 2001.

1. freeforever

freeforever 1/2 ton status

Well people it's about time to stop the cancer from spreading...I don't know how many people have the problem of rust but it's bugging the hell out of me and it's time to stop it, almost every panel has a little rust on the drivers side but the passenger side the quarter panel under the door and the back panel behind the rite wheel is toast..im just thankfull that the rust is only on the panels and none on the frame or mounts...it's wierd NONE on any other part of the truck..and it's a 76?....I’m just wondering what would be the best way to redo my body and quarter panels? I just ordered about every one of the repair panels from LMC and it cost me about 285 bucks...well I need to know. Should I rivet them? Or maybe Tig weld them into place? I have access to about every welding machine and auto body repair tool so any suggestions?

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

You can probably take care of some of that surface rust with some bondo or fiberglass but its not a cure-all. Defintely weld in the new stuff.

[​IMG]

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You definitely want to MIG or TIG the new stuff in. Just be careful not to warp it too much, usually you want to "stitch" it and not weld it all in one pass. Then finish with plastic body filler. On the back side you gotta be careful to seal it well or it will rust out again very quickly. Spray in some sort of rust treatment paint (rustoleum or better) from a rattle can at least. You can also get the spray on rust killer if the remaining metal has cancer too (inside and/or out). If the seams are at factory joints and visible (like rockers, pinch welds, etc.), you can use 3M Seam Sealer for a factory finish without too much prep work and grinding.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

just to let you know right now, there is no permanent fix, yea you may weld in new panels but unless you can seal up behind it too so water cant get in there it will rust throught again, believe me i am a body man. it will last for probably 15-25 years then you might have to do it again, not trying to scare ya, just telling it like i was told. its the same way i did my blazer though.

5. freeforever

freeforever 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the feedback guys I apreciate it alot...oh and most likely im gonna Rino line it on the inside of the panels and wheel wells after i treat it. Then im going to put in a trim kit from an 86 then rino line it up to the bottom strip of the trim....it will probaly look good I hope?