Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bog on acceleration...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Topdown, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I have seen a couple of posts about "the bog" here lately but havent heard of anyone fixing the problem. I have advanced my timing up to right before it pings to get rid of most of it, but this cant be right. I am running an edelbrock 600CFM carb, Edelbrock intake and everything else is stock... The Carb is a "remanufactured" carb... Could the accelerator pump be bad? Not knowing as much as I should about carbs (read: I dont know jack) I am at a complete loss as to even what to try... Help?

Thanks!!!
    -Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Re: The Dreaded Bog...

have you messed with the distributor at all? my truck ran like hell for a long time till somone finally showed me about those little Vaccum advance weights under the rotor, they were crossed up and sticking together, rendering my vacumm advance uselss making it bog.... just a suggestion.

3. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

unfortunately yes, I have replaced the distributor, the cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, even bought the heat shields for the wires, made sure that it was in time, messed with the vacuum advance... and made a few other changes here and there... to no avail. At this point, I have to believe it to be the carb, if for no other reason that no one can give me a better suggestion that I havent already changed.

Thoughts? Bueller?

4. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

TTT

5. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

No one has anything? Ok... well, when I finally figure it out, who wants me to PM them? Actually... does CK5 have a FAQ with the answers to the most common questions? While this may not be the most common question, it may qualify to make a FAQ so that the next guy who has it can find the answer quickly.

6. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

I don't know much about the Edlbrock carb, but your secondaries are opening too soon. If it was a Q-jet, you could just change metering rods. Shoulda kept the Q-jet in my opinion.

7. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

They are mechanical secondaries. So, when I am "playing" with the carb, the secondaries dont seem to be opening until I stab the gas. But, I will definitely give it a look into. disable the link to the secondaries so they "cant" open and see if that helps.

8. jtpepper

jtpepper Registered Member

I personally love these carbs.I'm running the 1407 and have no problems,once I got it tuned.Try putting the accelerator pump rod in the top hole.I think the 600 comes factory with it in the middle hole.This will give you a bigger discharge of fuel at takeoff.If it gets worse then go the opposite way.Also,get a calibration kit from a parts store and change the power step of your metering rods.This can get confusing,so read your owners manual.It will explain in detail how to fine tune it.If you have more ?'s let me know.GOD Bless,jtpepper

9. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info! I will give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!