Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bog?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, May 17, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Can anyone explain this to me. I entered the mudbogs this weekend and was quite impressed with my truck. Would have one the stock class but I lost to a scout on 38's with a built 350. Cool huh. The only problem I have is when I floor it off the line it bogged down and I never actually got to go until every truck was a whole truck lengths ahead of me. What would cause me to bog down. It didnt matter what gear. I have 198,287 miles on my stock tbi 350. 33's and 5 inches lift. 4.11's in the rear 14 bolt and 3.73's in the front 6 lug 10 bolt (hadnt finished the 3/4 ton swap yet). I tried it in OD, D, 2 and first and I bogged in all. Why? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

High range or low range?

3. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Low range.

4. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

you need more power.

5. johnc

johnc Registered Member

You might want to try stalling your converter out when you launch, stand on the brakes and rev it up in gear until just before the wheels start to spin /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and of course more power wouldn't hurt either /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If your engine is bogging in low gear, it's probably not running right. I'd bet your timing is slow or you have a vacuum leak or something.

7. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

I have a question, are you sure you were bogging down or just spinning the tires? Do you have a tack that you could look at to see if you are in fact spinning the tires before hooking up in the mud or in fact bogging down? If you are bogging down, then you can either try to tune up your engine to try to get more power out of it, or air up your tires more then normal. by airing up your tires, it will make it loose some grip and might get you out of the hole without bogging.

8. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It was bogging the enigine just wound up slow until it hit about 1500-1800 RPM's then you could hear it start going /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. sr175

sr175 Registered Member

check timing, you have a little gear mismatch there and more power /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif. Could try a cam thats better for that rpm range or the many other upgrades you could do. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I tried it in OD

[/ QUOTE ]
    Just something small but NEVER use OD offroad where there is a big load on the tranny. OD is for puting down the highway at 55mph+.

I would just say your motor is tired and lean on power. My old 350 did the same kind of stuff when it was still in.

11. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

slimlynn1 : [you need more power.]

I know. I ggot a little over 198,000 on the original 350 it will get a 454 at the end of the summer

johnc : [You might want to try stalling your converter out when you launch, stand on the brakes and rev it up in gear until just before the wheels start to spin and of course more power wouldn't hurt either ]

I thought about that but in 1rst and low everytime I touched the gas the whole truck tweeked and I didnt want to push my self over the line (my rear seem to hold a little better than my front) because then I would be disqualified

84 chevy k10 : [If your engine is bogging in low gear, it's probably not running right. I'd bet your timing is slow or you have a vacuum leak or something.]

That is what I originally thought too but after my first two runs we checked everything and she was running great. My timing was actually advanced so I am not sure.

Hustler : [I have a question, are you sure you were bogging down or just spinning the tires? Do you have a tack that you could look at to see if you are in fact spinning the tires before hooking up in the mud or in fact bogging down? If you are bogging down, then you can either try to tune up your engine to try to get more power out of it, or air up your tires more then normal. by airing up your tires, it will make it loose some grip and might get you out of the hole without bogging]

I am sure I was bogging. mtblazer 89 has the same problem sometimes. My tires were at 33 psi and I was bogging off the line when floored no where else. I cant really tune up the engine anymore without a cam or heads. It is getting headers here shortly and I am going to put a 454 tb plenum on it to see if that will liven it up. Once again 198,00 it is kinda pass the tune up stage, but it has all new ignition components (msd), new plugs and wires, rebuilt tb with all new sensors (in the last 2 months).

mtblazer89 : [It was bogging the enigine just wound up slow until it hit about 1500-1800 RPM's then you could hear it start going]

Exactly. I need to build that 454

sr175 : [check timing, you have a little gear mismatch there and more power . Could try a cam thats better for that rpm range or the many other upgrades you could do.]

Timing was good but I am going to look into the cam.

rjfguitar ; [Just something small but NEVER use OD offroad where there is a big load on the tranny. OD is for puting down the highway at 55mph+.

I would just say your motor is tired and lean on power. My old 350 did the same kind of stuff when it was still in.]

I know I drove it from home got there and did my practice run right away. So forgot to run it 1rst or 2nd. Learned that lesson real quick.

Thanks for the help anymore ideas. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If your engine is running correct and bogging down in the mud, you need more power.

I don't think it's running right though.

13. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Its not bogging down in the mud. It is doing it at the launch. Its like I floor it and a second later it goes.

example.
    hit peddle
    vrrrr (slow)
    then after a second or so it goes
    waaaaaaaa (fast)

I dont know if I am describing it well. But it does great once it gets moving it just hesitates right off the line. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Change your fuel filter.

15. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I will give that a shot. For my owqn knowledge why would that cause it to bog or hesitate only when I floor it from a stop? I dont understand.

16. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

mine sometimes does this, and on mine its a carburator issue. I think the accelerator pump is too larg and im running it rich on takeoff. Thus the reason that it bogs (bulb bulb bulb braaaaaaaa) for a bit, then gets to gettin. But i havn't looked into it any further.

good luck though. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Off Idle bog is a fairly common problem with TBI. Try setting your TPS up to .70 volts. That will richen up the mixture off idle a bit.
    Also an adjustable fuel pressure regulator set to around 14 PSI will help too.
    Wish I would have heard about Mud Bogs at Fallon. prolly would have made a little trip down there to see them. Maby made a run or 2 myself. Where did they have them?

18. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    4.11's in the rear 14 bolt and 3.73's in the front 6 lug 10 bolt (hadnt finished the 3/4 ton swap yet)

[/ QUOTE ] My question is why are you running two different gear sizes? Won't that break something? Maybe a t-case.

19. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

They have them up at the dirt track. The next ones are like Aug 7th or they have them this coming weekend in Fernley I believe. Maybe come out for the one at the end of the summer. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Race track page

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I will give that a shot. For my owqn knowledge why would that cause it to bog or hesitate only when I floor it from a stop? I dont understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because that's when you have a major transition in necessary fuel flow.

Usually it'd die off at high RPM too, cough, sputter, etc.