Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bogger / Swamper for Midwest Wheelin

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mnstr_fx, Jan 18, 2002.

1. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

O.k. This has been done before, but mainly for a certain type of wheeling. I am looking at getting new 44's, (right now 42 swampers) and am trying to decide between Boggers and Swampers. My vehicle is used ALL year long. I drive it on the street some times and off road all others. I need opinions of which one is better for midwest type wheeling. This includes: some mud; some small rock type stuff (NOT boulder crawling); trails (with tress, leaves, moss, etc..) and of course SNOW. (My driveway is 1/2 mile long and drifts shut ALOT)

I am leaning toward the Swampers but the Boggers really look KILLER.

So anyone from Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, etc.... How about it? Which one do you recommend?

76-82 Chevy Pickup / Blazer - K5-K10-K30
    90' TBI
    TH 400
    203 / 205 Doubler
    Dana 60, Corp 14 - 4.88'd - Detroit Locked

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

SD here. I'd say if you have snow, Swampers. If you take the time to sipe them, you'll love them in snow. Trust me. I did it and dear god the traction difference.

<a target="_blank" href=http://usor.topcities.com/superswampersiping.htm>http://usor.topcities.com/superswampersiping.htm</a>

1978 K20 - 355ci, np205, th400, D44, 14F, 7" of Lift, 36 x 14.5 TSL Radial

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Damn...Joe did you do all 4 tires with an X-Zacto knife? How long did it take you to do?

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>The darker side of nonsense...</a>

4. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

Thanks for the link... I never thought siping swampers would help in the snow. I know that my swampers right now do get kinda goosey when you are on ice. Escpecially with lockers!

Anyone else have any thoughts about trade offs of getting Boggers other than the noise?

76-82 Chevy Pickup / Blazer - K5-K10-K30
    90' TBI
    TH 400
    203 / 205 Doubler
    Dana 60, Corp 14 - 4.88'd - Detroit Locked

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Yep, did it with that carpet knife. 2 hours while goofing around. If you were dedicated, maybe 60 minutes. Did it on a lazy afternnon. It's real nice.

1978 K20 - 355ci, np205, th400, D44, 14F, 7" of Lift, 36 x 14.5 TSL Radial

6. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

From MI here.
    For mud, nothing beats a Bogger. But all around trail rides, snow, sand, etc... I would go with a TSL.... Hey, I did!
    Plus, they are easier on the drivetrain.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs